Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
700 dollars for a kids birthday????
by Anonymous
October 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM

i never thought i would be spending this much on a freaking birthday! omgosh. our son is turning 5 and we wanted him to have a big party he could invite his class to and this thing is becomming overwhelming!! we already promised the bounce house and i just find out that there is an extra 30 dollar fee to deliver the damn thing because we are a mile out of their free delivery range! well okay! there goes another 30 dollars. dh doesnt care, he said whatever it takes to throw a nice party. i just hate seeing all this money go for one party! i feel like i have cut as many corners as i could and after presents, i will be very surprised if we make it out all together under 1000 because lord knows last minute things will always pop up!

Replies

• nellyb118
    October 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    That's outrageous! I could NEVER justify that kind of spending...it would make me sick.
    At most we've spent around $250 for a great party & gifts.
  • livn4hevn
    October 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

ya we were lucky and got Transformers....lol. Plus my oldest son's birthday is RIGHT AFTER we get our taxes back every year, so we can usually afford to do a bit more.

My son turns 5 on Wednesday... we're doing a cake and having family over. he isn't in school this year (the cut off for Kindy was October 1st, and the pre-k was full so we're on a waiting list!). My bestie makes AWESOME cakes and she's gonna put something together for him, and she has a son. So it'll be my three kids, my BFF's son, and my neice...that's it for kids. The rest are adults. And we're throwing the party at 2, so between meals lol. Basically we're getting together for a bit of afternoon dessert. Talk about going CHEAP!!

Quoting Anonymous:

the thing is, he wants BATMAN. so the dollar store of course doesnt have that, so we had to order from partycity.com because we dont even live anywhere near a place like that. and all the cakes and decorations look so hard to do! we did make some invitations for his class that i found on pinterest though.

Quoting livn4hevn:

I think we spent $150 on a bounce house, about $50 on party favors (dollar store WHUH?!) $60 on a cake and found a decoration box for $20 that pretty much decorated the entire house. We had....15-20 kids? And asked the adults to bring a side dish of some kind
    to share.

It was a kick ass party. For about $300.

Have you checked out pinterest? There's some super cheap, good ideas on there that are DIY. It might mean more of your TIME, but def less of your $$$

• cmabbott
    October 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

That's what I'm terrified of DS turns 5 in January and is in Pre-K with about 20 other kids.  They wont allow you to send invites to school unless everyone is invited, so it looks like we'll be having a party of 30-10 next year.

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    LOL, sounds about right. We spent around $800 for dds birthday and the party was for only 2 hours. We rented out the Gymboree we go to. Things definitely do add up.
  • valdamien5

i spend an average 150 for each kids party food and presents, last year we had one at a bowlin alley cost 100 food included so yea we never go over 150 maybe 175 the most

• anitarichman

I've never spent that much on dd's17&19, birthday or parties.  That is crazy. 

• CreziaMommyTo2
    October 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

sometimes its cheaper to take the kids to a inflatable place for a party.

packages usually start 300 for up to 12 kids.

• Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    October 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

yikes! this is why we have never even had 1 bday party for our 9 yr old. just way too much money. we prefer to keep bdays more personal and low-key. we could never justify spending that much money for a bday party.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

yeah someone else said that, i was telling them i really wish we could do that too because the closest place to us is AWESOME. but it is almost an hour drive and i think he would be disappointed if half his class couldnt come because it was too far away.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

sometimes its cheaper to take the kids to a inflatable place for a party.

packages usually start 300 for up to 12 kids.

• utterlyred48
    October 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

My son turned 15 last may. His friends helped with the surprise party for 30 kids. It cost me about $400. The most expensive cost was for food and drinks. Football players eat a lot. My daughter is turning 14 today. She is having hers at a monster indoor mini golf. We are having it doing the week so we can save money. I will spend about the same amount on hers as I did my son. We don't have a party for them every year.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN