Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
arigdon4
Found my dream job...with a major downside
October 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Hi all. I am a college grad with a degree in early childhood edu and development. I have been looking for a job in my field since I graduated in 2011 (I've been working for less then minimum wage since then as a waitress).
I finally got a call back from a really great school to be a developmental speech therapist and councelor and I am so excited! It won't pay that well the first year but it wil be worth it later on.
Downside: our son is due late this December and I wanted to spend the first year with him (i was going to be a SAHM days and when DH got home, got to classes for my masters). I cannot afford the child care center I will be working at (it's $250 per child per week!) So he would still wind up in day care, which is what I was trying to avoid for his first year and practically all I wil be making will go to the cost of day care.

My choices seem to be: stay at home with DS like I want, work on my masters and part-time as a waitress (i don't *have*to work but I would be a big help).
Or
Take the dream job but give up all the quality time with DS and (how I see it, call me wrong if you like) basically have someone else raise my child. Make a small check and use well over half of it for him to go to a good day care and still not have him.

I wanted to feed on demand and such.

Sigh, like I said, they called this morning so I need to talk to DH about it first but this is just the way I see it. What would you do?
P.S. The reason I was ONLY looking at centers with a newbirn/infant center is so I could still have DS with me if I did go back to work right off. I didn't think leaving him would be this hard of a decision since moms go back to work after babies all the time!

(sorry for any mistakes, I'm on my phone and it doesnt let me go back and edit very easily)

Replies

• Crazy-Steph
    October 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Why are you looking for a job now if you want to stay home for the first year?
  • alwayskk
    October 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Are you only looking at jobs in daycare/childcare centers? DO you need a job? Why look if you want to stay at home once the baby is born for an entire year?

• arigdon4
    October 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    I've had several applications in. I just finally came to the top of the pile I guess

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Why are you looking for a job now if you want to stay home for the first year?
  • FL2AK
    by FL2AK
    October 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    If you have struggled to find a job you might one to take one while it is offered. I don't understand getting pregnant while searching for a job.

I would gain some experience before going for your masters degree.
  • funny_girl3
    October 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Talk to your husband.  I stayed home, rather than fork over most of my pay to daycare.  We are poor, but it's worth it.  Another dream job will come your way in a year or two, or maybe your dream will change.

• cheltie68
    October 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I'd put my baby first and spend that first year with him or her. 

• juniebug11
    October 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    I dont know , that's a tough one. This happened to me! Ive been working in childcare for years. I found my dream job working at a daycare in a hospital- full benefits , 16/ hr, full time , ratio would be 3 to 1. 8-5 , perfect! I loved it .
    I made it past the first interview ( they had narrowed it down from 60 to 3) so I was pretty sure I had a goo chance. When I went in for my second interview , I blacked out . I blacked out infront of the kids while reading .... Talk about embarrassing ! They had to call 911, i wa knocked out cold. Lol , so I just took that as the Lord wanted me to stay at home ( and my dr. Did to!)

Daycare is so expensive , and time with your son, you just can't get that back. It is true , almost all of your check will go to daycare. If I were you I'd stay at home and work on my masters .
    Good luck!
  • arigdon4
    October 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    For the most part, I would prefer to work with younger children, pre school our younger.
    The reason I was only.looking at places with a newborn center is do DS could be there with me. Wouls still be able to feed on demand and such.
    I dont need ajob, per se, but it would help and it seems a waste to not use and education I paid so much and worked so hard for.
    And I've had several applications in, it seems mine finally came to the top of the pile (generally schools/development centers only hire about twice a year)

Quoting alwayskk:

Are you only looking at jobs in daycare/childcare centers? DO you need a job? Why look if you want to stay at home once the baby is born for an entire year?

• Gealach
    by Gealach
    October 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Stay home.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Do you want to work or not?

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups