Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Yes...I allowed my 10 year old to.......would you?
by Anonymous
October 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
My sister is all in a tizzy because I allowed my 10 year old to stay at the church fall festival byhimself and then walk home alone. We went as a family the kids and I but my youngest DD is 4 and she got cold and wanted to go home. This was about 2:45. My DS asked could he stay and just walk home. Its about a half a mile from home so I said ok just be home by 5:00 pm. He had his phone and made it home by 4:50 because he didn't want to be late. Now my sister is telling me I'm crazy and a bad mom. Would you let your son walk home?

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    October 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Bump
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    Depends. In my old neighborhood I would. Not here though. Ou know our neighborhood and town.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    I was babysitting three kids by his age.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    No I would not. However, I may just be overprotective. I'm not sure. I don't think you're a bad mom though for allowing your son to walk home.
  • mrsbrand
    Depends on his maturity level. If he was a squared away kid who's stays out of trouble and does the right thing (which it sounds like he is by arriving home 10 min early), I would. If he was a troublesome kid, I wouldn't.
  • cklamour
    October 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Different strokes for different folks. Depending on the age, location, and the time of day, I would not have a problem. Tell your sister to stop, just stop. Living in fear is not healthy for anyone.
  • Momniscient
    October 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Yes. I think that the trend toward restricting our kids has become really tiresome. It isn't reasonable to judge other parents who allow their kids to do things that one wouldn't do themselves.

There is NO guarantee of safety just as there is no guarantee that wrapping kids in bubble wrap is going to make them productive. I allow my child to do age appropriate things that may include some things that helicopter parents would absolutely have a coronary over.

This is a very eye opening and interesting article.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/10/01/162079442/do-you-know-where-your-children-are-is-that-always-a-good-thing

• hautemama83
    October 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    Not where we live at now. Everything is too far, and dd would have to cross a highway in order to get home. I would leave her there, and pick her up later though.
  • DolphinFan85
    October 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM

nope, i would have never let my child do that.

Question to you though------Would you have done the same if he were a girl?

• BuzyMommy35
    October 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Depends on the neighborhood and the Maturity if the kid. I do think walking in groups is much safer than alone. I personally would have returned for my child but this is not by far the worst thing I've heard in my life :0)

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts