Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
MeAndTommyLee
Public Schooling is a form of `Welfare'
October 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I don't personally care who qualifies for FS, and I don't know too much about it, either.  I do know that there is a lot of FS haters on this site whom find no good reason for anyone to ever receive any type of assistance. 

It got me thinking..........

Public Schooling is a `freebie' too.  Sure. you can say you pay taxes, but those taxes we pay are apparently going to every `public' program in some way, shape or form. When you opt to send your child to a public school anywhere in this country than I'd say you pretty much gave up your right to bitch about families on PA because your child is receiving a `free education'.   I would think that most people would want more for their children than a public school education.  College is NOT the only form of edu that parents should be required to pony up their dollars for. 

(And, no, my children do not attend public school.)

Replies

• YzmaRocks
    October 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    Interesting. I never thought about it from that perspective!
  • Love060708kids
    October 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

My kids attend public school, their school receives grants because they are military dependents.  They will go to public school until they hit middle school; then they will go to private school, because I will be working also to be able to provide financially for their education.  Currently, my husband works and his income is plenty for us at the moment.  I'm going for my bachelor's right now.  But I don't bitch about those who receive public assistance.

• Dzyre1115
    October 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I don't know about you but there is nothing free about my school tax bill every year, it's 95% of the taxes on my homes!

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    October 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    No, public school isn't welfare. It is an American right for all children of this country, and one you will always be granted as long as you are a school aged citizen. Nothing to do with income.
  • mcginnisc
    October 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

True....however, not everyone wants to send their child to private school, nor can everyone afford private school. I know my BFF can't afford private school so her oldest dd attends public school. Would she like to send them to private? Sure..it's just not feasible. 

FTR- Mine go to private school. 

• danandsamsmom

My children don't attend public school, but I don't consider public school the same as other forms of public assistance. I tend to think of public assistance as things that have income restrictions.  Do you also consider using the library to be public assistance?

• MeAndTommyLee

Public school is free.  All you have to do is walk and register whether you own or rent, does not matter. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I don't know about you but there is nothing free about my school tax bill every year, it's 95% of the taxes on my homes!

• Bigmetalchicken
    October 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

That is one of the main reasons our children are, and will continue to be, educated in private schools.  I am strongly against the forcible taxation of a population for things that they have no say in.  I still pay my taxes, but I refuse to be a hypocrite by using public schooling, while preaching the importance of avoiding other forms of welfare.  

Not to mention Public schools have gone so down the drain that they are not really preparing our children for life in the work force or places of higher learning.  It is quite a shame.

ETA, While I am fine with paying for public school, I DO think there should be a guideline, that if you dropped out of public school, you will be automatically denied other forms of public assistance. Because I think if you are given the most important form of assistance, education, and choose to fritter it away, you do not deserve the monetary forms of assistance.

• ElitestJen
    October 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Nope.  I pay federal income tax, state income tax, property tax, and car registration taxes. 

People who receive food stamps definitely don't pay federal taxes, probably don't pay state taxes.  They may well pay property and car registration taxes....but they're certainly not footing the bill for all of it. 

Besides, anyone who thinks "free, public school" is free is on crack.  There are supplies, lunches, activity fees, etc. that go into all that shit. 

My daughter goes to a public high school, and so far this year, we've paid out over $2000.  Free, my ass. 

• MotherOF5Cuties
    October 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    Bitch please.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts