Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*
by Anonymous
October 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Replies

• gypsy_rose
    October 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I had 2 kids on both sides of the spectrum. I had a 21 1/4 inch 6 pound 8 once baby and one that was 9 pounds even that was 19 3/4 inches. 

this is my 9 pounder. He had low blood sugar. 

This is my 6 pounder

• brettsmomma
    October 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM

eye rolling My son was "cut" out of me. It didn't make my birth experience any less then yours. It was the single most wonderful moment in my life and some random Internet personality will never change that. :) 

Quoting turtle68:

I pushed a large pumpkin out....I'll brag as much as I want thankyou very much.  You had a baby cut out of you...no bragging rights.  Sorry just the way it is.

• spooknrun
    October 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I think the point these "big baby bragger" women are trying to make is that big baby does not automatically equal a C-section. The C-section rate in this country is out of control, and quite often it's for CPD, or 'big baby." In the absence of GD and other medical complications, our bodies grow baby sizes they are designed to birth.

Also, you mentioned your first C-section was for shoulder dystocia. Unless her head was delivered and her body got stuck, and they gave you a crash C-section and shoved her head back in to deliver her abdominally, you did not have shoulder dystocia. The head has to be delivered first, then the shoulders get stuck, which can be remedied by using the Gaskin Maneuver. 

http://shoulderdystociainfo.com/whatis.htm 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9610468

http://www.spinningbabies.com/spinning-babies-and/resolving-shoulder-dystocia

So if that was the case, I'm sorry for you and your baby and that your providers didn't know any other way. If that wasn't the case, I'm sorry you were mis-led by your providers.

• anitaaw
    by anitaaw
    October 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    just because you birth a big baby doesn't mean you are going to be "too loose". you can have a smaller baby and be loose if the vaginal muscles aren't tight (kegels work). everyone can regain the muscle in every part of their body if they work on it. high heeled shoes Don't help the vaginal muscles, puts more pressure on bladder, throws your pelvis/body off balance & increase pain especially in feet/arches/ankles. this is before pregnancy. judging health by body size isn't usually on target with or without babies in the equation. as for pain, it's not comfortable but with education/really understanding the birthing process - not the Cliff Notes version!, correct breathing (we tend to clench & only breath shallowly while in pain which sets off panic reactions in the body), different postures, being able to move freely during labour helps the birth process & reduces pain. we also labour better in dim lights, quiet place which is not too hot or cold. hard to relax when people keep coming in to look up your legs or too much noise outside the room, too chilly in room, the smells and so on. having & caring for children very well is a major accomplishment in this world. being snarky & living life in junior high is not helpful.
  • Amyirene74
    October 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Those are some very big babies. It sounds like it may just be a genetic thing for either you or your husband. My babies were all small due to being preemies. My largest baby was 6 lbs 9 oz and my smallest was 5 lbs 6 ounces. First 2 were breastfed until 2 months and then formula and the last 3 were all breastfed exclusively. My oldest is now 18 and over 6 foot tall. I think that babies come in different sizes just like adults do. 

• IntactivistMama
    October 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM

:) he rapidly put on weight via breastfeeding (I have photos of him where he is heart-breakingly chubby.) Then he hit a year and thinned out. He weighs a smidge over 20lbs at 20 months @ average height. Ugh. However, DH and his brothers were toothpicks as kids too and always had to wear a belt to hold their pants up. LOL

Quoting hippiemamax3:

My oldest was born at 42w 2d and was 7lb 5oz 19.5in. She was my "latest" and smallest.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

My son was born at 42 weeks and only weighed 7lbs 5oz! WTF!

• tessaadara
    October 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    Holy shit, this feels like a "my penis is bigger than your penis" contest. I thought we were all female here....LOL ;)
  • Jennb7111
    October 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    Y did ur dr let ur pregnancy go so long? W knowing the baby was that large they should've induced, that's extremely dangerous to let u carry so long! My son was 8lb 12oz and they induced a week early cuz he was growing so quickly, and he had to spend 5 days in NICU due to problems cuz of his size. And I do "brag" about his birth weight and that my labor was completely drug free only cuz it shows I was a strong enuff woman to give birth to him w out punching my hubby!! He was also born face down and left "skid marks" as my dr put it, I had to have internal stitches all the way down the birth canal cuz his hand was tied up by the cord next to his head and left gashes all the way down!! I'm proud that I was strong enuff for that, NO man would have been able to do that!!!
  • DebnDrew
    October 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I had a big baby the first time around, because I ate wrong and sat around. It is not a badge of honor for me, it was a lesson I had to learn from for my next pregnancy.

• savingtheworld
    October 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    I think all mothers deserves the chance to brag weather its giving birth to a 20lb baby or a 6 lb baby or even if u didn't birth it yourself!!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN