Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
NeverABreak
Just because you're poor... Edits in red.
October 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Just because you're poor does not mean you have to live like trash! Be grateful for what you have, and respect yourself and your property. I don't understand how some people can just not take care of the appearance of their home. Seriosly, people! Have a little pride!

Here I was thinking we had a great deal on a nice, clean apartment that could help us save money when we signed the lease. Yesterday I forgot my phone when I was pulling out of the parking lot, and I figured rather than doing a U-turn, I'd just circle around the complex. WOW! I thought we got lucky and were living really nice! The other side of the complex was so trashy! People had beer bottles and cigarette butts accumulating outside, trash outside their door when the dumpster is a short walk away, busted up furniture sitting outside the dumpster, blinds falling and window screens falling off of the windows and then covered up with sheets and blankets (maintenance had no problem replacing mine when ds knocked them down), and kids running around outside in diapers during a coldfront. For the past couple of months we've been having problems with people stealing RANDOM things that aren't worth shit off of our patio. When we signed the lease 5 months ago, the area was NOTHING like this.

I haven't felt poor in a long time, but after driving around I felt like trash. I've been really proud of the home we've made for ourselves until now. I'm pretty certain we'll be moving when this lease is up.

I'm not trying to say that this is strictly an issue of being low income. I know that, I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm not trying to make one big sweeping generalization. That being said, I know of many people who will use it as an excuse to live like this.

Replies

• heartnhidin
    October 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    I completely agree.
  • alphamom26
    October 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Lol, you should see the view from our kitchen window!! The next condo down has 2 trashy slobs living there, and they have a friend or relative that works in the junk business. Whenever he has something "too good to throw away" he brings it over and puts it under their communal porch. They currently have : A sectional couch, with the back broken, that has been sitting out in the weather for 6 months, 2 washing machines, rusted over on the tops, that have been sitting there since we moved in three years ago, a dryer, also rusted, that has been there over 8 months, a huge desk that has been sitting in the weather for about 8 months and the fake wood has swollen and peeled up, a desk chair that probably has every kind of woodland creature living in its ripped up seat, and I don't even know what is out of our sight under the porch. That is just what I can see looking out the window. I don't know how their neighbor's have put up with that nasty mess, I sure wouldn't. We are only waiting to move to our new house (thank GOD!!!) to call the condo board on them (not our condo, we rent. The condo board here refuses to take complaints from non-owners, and our landlord doesn't give a sh*t). I can't wait to move!!!Whoopie!!!

• Candymonster
    October 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

._. my place is a mess right now only because we just moved in and are still rearranging things...LOL i have things in piles though of where it needs to go. Trash in one pile, clothes in another sorted by what needs to be hung up and what needs to be folded, halloween decor in another pile, bathroom stuff in another. ._. I have a problem...

• CoolRelax
    October 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Don't let it get you down.  Or really, let it get you just upset enough to make sure that the next place is better.  I've been there, and I know how hard it is to live somewhere, work hard for it and take care of it yet everywhere outside your home looks like who-done-it-and-why.  Really I just couldn't take living in an apartment anymore.  Things have improved greatly since we bought our home.  Good luck to you!! 

• fostermomoftwo
    October 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    Thats what i always say..just cause your poor doesnt mean i have to have a discusting house and dirty kids...but the thing is theres other factors playing into it..like it could be laziness, disability, no education, never had to buy their own things..so theres def strong correlations to reasons as why poor areas look lile dumps and the crime level too is always higher.
  • jmetz4
    by jmetz4
    October 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Do you live in CO? That sounds like my old apartments. And I heard they have gotten worse...

• justpeachy71904
    October 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    That's so sad. I drove through where my townhome was a few months ago. When i was 17 it was all I could afford as a single mom. My dh and I were newly dating and not serious at that point.

I paid 600 a month and I loved my place. I painted every room and had pride in my cute towmhouse. now working in the jail I know the area is a drug filled warrant ridden neighborhood. :( if I had known that id have never loved there much less alone with a 1 yr old.

Driving through there the other day I felt very uneasy and kept looking over my shoulder.

Take pride in your home and yourself. Keep working hard and know one day you will get over that hurdle. I did and I am proud of what I overcame. Looking back it makes me stronger. And scared. Ha
  • MelAnn122
    October 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I agree completely with this!!! My husband and I do not roll around in money, but when we got our home it wasn't pretty. But we put some hard days in and didn't even spend too much. We found wood that people were throwing away because it was extra they didn't want and we cut it down and re did the railing on our porch and painted the outside of the home. Did some major yardwork and trimming and put a few coats of paint on the inside and it looks like an entirely different house. It is amazing how nice you can make your home look even on a tight budget. It doesn't take much, just a little self-pride and sweat and you turn any place around. We have had people actually  stop in the middle of the road in front of our house just to remark on how well we were doing and how happy they were to see someone put the effort in to make the place look nice.

• Lordgodempress
    October 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I have to say I agree, There is no reason to trash the property.  Poor or not.  It doesnt cost anything to NOT throw beer bottles outside.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Rich people can be trashy as well. I know a few. But for the most part, you can't really blame someone for being a product of how they were raised. If they don't know any different, then how are they suppose to rise above it?

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts