Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
lilfishbigocean
Halloween & Sex Offenders. *Edit
October 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

This is in Simi Valley, California. 
Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14202253-no-halloween-for-sex-offenders-they-challenge-california-citys-restrictions?lite

"The ordinance, adopted Sept. 10, prohibits registered sex offenders in the Ventura County city of about 125,000 from displaying Halloween decorations, answering the door to trick-or-treaters or having outside lighting after dark on Oct. 31"

"Registered sex offenders are also required to post signs with on their front doors reading, in 1-inch letters, "No candy or treats at this residence." Those offenders visible to the public on the state's Megan's Law website and convicted of a crime against a child are required to post the sign."

This is something that we ALL have similar views about; sex offenders. What's your opinion on this? I think that it should be enforced everywhere, not just in Simi Valley.

EDIT: I completely agree with you all that are saying that it should be based on a scale of 1-5. Not everyone registered is a sex offender - they may have been streaking, or peeing in the alley.. I also agree with the others that are saying: regardless, you need to watch your kids, and be with them when they go out. 
(Obviously, older children would have a different set of rules; whatever they may be.)

Is this ordinance a good idea?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 80% - Yes.
  2. 9% - No.
  3. 10% - Other. (Please explain.)

Replies

• Devious333
    October 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    I like the idea.
  • MissLeanna
    October 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    My county started this last year. It's a good idea. Except trick or treating here is dead anyway. Lol
  • MrsRinehart2010

While I dont agree with what sex offenders have done obviously. I think if parents where with an watching thier children like they should be then there shouldnt be a problem. But in reality there are paretns out there who do none of those things an It could be a good idea but doesnt mean it would work.

• LaMerica

I LOVE this and hope that it gets adopted everywhere!

• ilovecandy
    October 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM

i think they have that law already here....but im not entirely sure. and yes i think its a good idea.

• Mazie0723
    In my city if you're a registered sex oftener you are not allowed to have the porch light on and typically cops are parked in the area.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous

Quoting LaMerica:

I LOVE this and hope that it gets adopted everywhere!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, I am with my kids when they are trick or treating so I'm always watching them anyway.
  • mommycrissa
    October 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I have heard of this and I think it's wonderful. Great way to protect the public

• DuchessScrat
    October 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It's a good idea.  But, I still feel that some crimes shouldn't be considered a "sexual offense" such as being caught peeing in an alley.  They really should reserve that list for violent and child related crimes.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts