Mom Confessions

lilfishbigocean
Halloween & Sex Offenders. *Edit
October 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

This is in Simi Valley, California. 
Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14202253-no-halloween-for-sex-offenders-they-challenge-california-citys-restrictions?lite

"The ordinance, adopted Sept. 10, prohibits registered sex offenders in the Ventura County city of about 125,000 from displaying Halloween decorations, answering the door to trick-or-treaters or having outside lighting after dark on Oct. 31"

"Registered sex offenders are also required to post signs with on their front doors reading, in 1-inch letters, "No candy or treats at this residence." Those offenders visible to the public on the state's Megan's Law website and convicted of a crime against a child are required to post the sign."

This is something that we ALL have similar views about; sex offenders. What's your opinion on this? I think that it should be enforced everywhere, not just in Simi Valley.

EDIT: I completely agree with you all that are saying that it should be based on a scale of 1-5. Not everyone registered is a sex offender - they may have been streaking, or peeing in the alley.. I also agree with the others that are saying: regardless, you need to watch your kids, and be with them when they go out. 
(Obviously, older children would have a different set of rules; whatever they may be.)

Is this ordinance a good idea?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 80% - Yes.
  2. 9% - No.
  3. 10% - Other. (Please explain.)

Replies

• haymama
    by haymama
    October 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    Wow this is the first unanimous poll on cm I've seen lol. I think it would be great. Idk if my area has anything like this i may Google now lol.
  • SouthernTruth
    October 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Their houses shouldn't be appealing to children what so ever!

• WardosWifey
    October 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I think they should be able to put up Halloween decorations if they want, but I am in agreeance that they should NOT be allowed to give out candy.

• Sassy762
    October 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Its good idea BUT how are the authorities going to enforce it

• Kmary
    by Kmary
    October 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Eh, I think it's a well-intentioned feel-good law that is probably not actually keeping us a hell of a lot safer, to be completely honest with you. 

My town has a similar law.  I guess this means that my kids are safe from my in-laws neighbor who got on the registry for getting drunk and peeing in an alley outside of a bar at 3 am.  Sigh. 

• momswag
    by momswag
    October 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    It is a great idea but I also believe parents should be enforced to accompany their children TOT.
  • bustybee

aren't there "levels" of sex offenders like 1-5 or something? anywho I think it is a great idea for the "bad" sex offenders" and unneccesary for "stupid" sex offenders - like a 18 yo with a 15 yo, or the guy that mooned a bus while in school (all things from previous forum posts)

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous

Absolutely not.  There are a wide variety of acts that can get one placed on the sex offenders registry, including things like public urination and consensual sexual acts with one's own barely underage girlfriend (and virtually no age difference between the two participants).  This is not going to protect children, it merely allows parents to feel the illusion of safety and at the same time it is intrusive on those persons who may want celebrate a holiday with simple yard decorations the same as everyone else in the neighborhood.  It is degrading, demeaning, and hateful, and it is not the solution to this problem.

• Allisonc7910
    October 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I think people will knock if their house is decorated, if they see a light on or two in front.  They shouldn't be allowed to decorate as it entices children.  We decorate and get so many knocks each year, the kids like it.

• momof2boy2girl
    October 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Quoting DuchessScrat:

It's a good idea.  But, I still feel that some crimes shouldn't be considered a "sexual offense" such as being caught peeing in an alley.  They really should reserve that list for violent and child related crimes.

Mom Confessions