Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Homework time at your house
by Anonymous
September 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Question for moms of school-age kids.  I'm just curious about when homework gets done at your house.  Do your kids do it right after school, after snack but before dinner, before or after whatever afterschool activities your kids might be involved in, after dinner, just before bed .... etc.  I know some parents who insist homework is done immediately after school, some who set aside time after dinner, some who don't care as long as it gets done.  I'm in the latter group myself, doesn't matter to me when as long as it's done but not 5 minutes before bedtime!  lol.  And do you have a *homework station*?  I know of moms who have an area in the house set aside just for homework,with pencils and crayons and other supplies like that, and some who have homework boxes and the kids are not allowed to use those supplies at any other time.  Not me, I couldn't care less where it's done or which pencil is used.  But hey, whatever works ...

No bashing please, just a few random questions here I'm curious about.  Thanks.

Replies

• calusari
    September 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

My daughters are in 3rd and 4th grades, and they do their homework when they get home; they can have a snack before or during, but it is done right then. When they get older and have more homework, I'm sure that we will adjust their schedule; they don't have much homework this year, maybe a page or two.

• jcbruce_80
    September 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I like homework done ASAP so I don't have to think about it anymore. I have a 1st, 3rd, and 6th grader. My 3rd grader is a self starter and is usually good about doing his homework. He never takes longer than 30 minutes and doesn't usually need help from me. My other two need more attention at homework time. We also have stuff going on in the evening, lots of times, so I just want it done. I even make them do their weekend homework, if they have any, on Friday night. I don't want to have to think about it again, or have it get forgotten.

• lulumomof2
    September 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM

My sons do homework when they get home, after a snack. If they have a lot (my older son sometimes does have a lot, hes in 9th grade and he takes all honors classes), they can do some after snack and the rest after dinner except for 2x a week when my youngest (7th grade) has football practice (my older son and dh help coach) so then homework must be completely done before practice (or there is no practice)

• tasheika
    September 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

My DD does her homework right after she gets home from school she is 12 and in the 7th grade my DS goes to an after school program so he dose his home work there he is 6 and in the 2nd grade he gets out of after school @ 6pm so all i have to do is check his homework but i don't let him do his homework on fridays only because he gets out late but on saurday morning after breakfast we get started on his HWso he can enjoy the rest of his weekend.

• bcoll
    by bcoll
    September 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The time of day depends on the kid and the days activity. My middle school boys (8th grade) walk dogs after school and have wrestling and science club. So their homework usually begins after dinner.The 3 elementary school kids get it done usually right after school except for tue (dance) and thurs (lego club) those days it happens after dinner. The 2 big ones do homework in their room and keep track of their own supplies, the other 3 use the dining room table usually I keep a supply box in the dining room closet. The 2 little ones don't have school yet :) 

• elk571
    by elk571
    September 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Ours is right after school but after snack. Otherwise it's a battle, they get tired, gets forgotten etc. and we just do it at the table, with whatever supplies we have/need to use; I'm not going to keep extra crap around my house when I already have the same stuff lol
  • Paige03
    by Paige03
    September 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

She has snack and then does homework. We have a spot set up for her but not with it's own special pencils lol.

• mommy_me
    September 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Her and I sit at the dining room table after school while she snacks we walk about what she did at school, learned etc. Then after she finishes or during we start on her homework. That way we get it done right away so we can all relax and do our family thing before bed

• MaryLu86
    September 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    Same here, unless we have an after school activity!

Quoting mommy_me:

Her and I sit at the dining room table after school while she snacks we walk about what she did at school, learned etc. Then after she finishes or during we start on her homework. That way we get it done right away so we can all relax and do our family thing before bed

• kiddycat73
    September 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    I have 2 middle schoolers and 1 in high school. I trust them to do it and have it done on time. I'm always available to help when needed, but all 3 are very good students, and they have known the rules (no TV or playing outside till HW is done period!) for years. They are in a routine, and by the time I get home from work they are usually finished, unless they need help. I don't hound them about it. If they say they are done I believe them, and their excellent grades are what allows them this trust.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN