Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
what kind of dumb spelling test is this?
by Anonymous
September 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM
My kids first spelling test was today. Back in my day our teacher said the word, used it in a sentence then said it again. We had until the third time she said it to write the word.

Well ds's spelling test is as follows:
Circle the correct spelling of the word.

That's it. They have all the words on a paper with a bunch of other misspelled words and they had to choose the rightly spelled one.

Of course, he got them all right. But how in the world is THAT a spelling test?

Replies

• squeekers
    September 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I would randomly ask the other teachers of his grade how they do their spelling test and see if it is a school way to test or just that teacher's way. if it is just that teacher, maybe you can suggest they try it a different way like Mrs. ____ does it in the other classroom.

• MumaSue
    by MumaSue
    September 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Makes me think they have had terrible scores on spelling so trying to come up with a fool proof test. My DD still gets tested in the old method, hear it and write it.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. LOL. She said that's how the district does spelling tests for all grade levels.

Quoting lovinmama411:

If it's their first test, they are probably just getting them used to it. Doing the words different ways will help them learn. I'm sure they will have traditional spelling tests soon enough.

• IMaBABYsMaMa
    September 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    My dd is in 1st and they do it "old school" as well. She also has sight words and on the ones she can't seem to get I get her to learn how to spell them and she gets them every time.

Quoting MumaSue:

Makes me think they have had terrible scores on spelling so trying to come up with a fool proof test. My DD still gets tested in the old method, hear it and write it.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. LOL. She said that's how the district does spelling tests for all grade levels.

Quoting lovinmama411:

If it's their first test, they are probably just getting them used to it. Doing the words different ways will help them learn. I'm sure they will have traditional spelling tests soon enough.

• hugsandkisse119
    September 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    My son is 9 and he has spelling tests like we used to. They tell him the work then a sentence then repeat the word then he must spell it on his paper. I'm not sure what way would be easier or harder but both will challenge a child's mind.
  • MumaSue
    by MumaSue
    September 15, 2012 at 8:08 AM

That's exactly what I did with the sight words.

Quoting IMaBABYsMaMa:

My dd is in 1st and they do it "old school" as well. She also has sight words and on the ones she can't seem to get I get her to learn how to spell them and she gets them every time.

Quoting MumaSue:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

• msjaxon
    by msjaxon
    September 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    That's crazy... Id be talking to the school board about it. A policy change is needed.
  • justpeachy71904
    September 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    They use different formats of testing in school these days. They will use this format, they will use the "call it out" format as well. They will also use "use it in a sentence" format.

It prepares the kids for what we call CRCT here.in GA but standardized tests
  • alwayskk
    September 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    I was tested this way also.... not to mention....standardized testing..
  • alwayskk
    September 15, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    Oh crikey.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is this happening in one of those states where no kids is left behind? Because this is taking it to another level!!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts