Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
what kind of dumb spelling test is this?
by Anonymous
September 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM
My kids first spelling test was today. Back in my day our teacher said the word, used it in a sentence then said it again. We had until the third time she said it to write the word.

Well ds's spelling test is as follows:
Circle the correct spelling of the word.

That's it. They have all the words on a paper with a bunch of other misspelled words and they had to choose the rightly spelled one.

Of course, he got them all right. But how in the world is THAT a spelling test?

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    September 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Testing in a variety of ways allows students to learn in a variety of ways.

• Elle.tea.22
    September 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    Personally when I dont know how to spell a word I write it and pick the one that "looks right"
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    September 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    This will prepare him to use spell check.
  • lovinmama411
    September 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM

If it's their first test, they are probably just getting them used to it. Doing the words different ways will help them learn. I'm sure they will have traditional spelling tests soon enough.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    September 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    No. LOL. She said that's how the district does spelling tests for all grade levels.

Quoting lovinmama411:

If it's their first test, they are probably just getting them used to it. Doing the words different ways will help them learn. I'm sure they will have traditional spelling tests soon enough.

• 3lilmonsters88
    September 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    This

Quoting lovinmama411:

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    September 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    Yuck!

Quoting Anonymous:

No. LOL. She said that's how the district does spelling tests for all grade levels.

Quoting lovinmama411:

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    September 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Times change mama!!
  • Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    September 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    I honestly think that kind of test is harder. When you get multiple options, They all start to look correct. So you must really have to know the word in order to get it right.
  • lovinmama411
    September 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Well, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's exactly how I am teaching my kindergartner his sight words right now and it's working very well. After the test, test him at home yourself the way you want and see if it's effective.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN