Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Special Needs Kids In Mainstream Classrooms
by Anonymous
August 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM

To what degree do you think this contributes to the issues in public education nowadays?  I think it is likely a huge reason why public education has largely gone in the toilet.  It used to be that special needs kids went into special classes, and the kids who were intellectually and behaviorally able to keep up with the normal pace of the classroom weren't held back by these other kids because the teachers' attentions weren't so divided.

I know this isn't a very politically correct opinion, but there you have it.

What is your opinion?

Replies

• cherrywaves21
    August 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM

That's how I feel.
  • weirdkids
    I have 2 special needs kids that are in mainstream.... they do perfectly fine.
  • WhitleyLyles

I think they require special attention. More attention. However-I feel for them when they get older and realize they are being separated.

• peanutsmommy1
    August 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    I have never seen a special ed child mainstreamed without an aide, so they actually get more attention than in a special ed classroom
  • Piskie
    by Piskie
    August 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    Education should be suitable for all, just like the rest of society.
  • SmilesDisco
    August 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I have never seen a special ed child mainstreamed without an aide, so they actually get more attention than in a special ed classroom

This, sorry your normal kids needs more attention then my specaisl ed child. Thanks for being understanding.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I have two special needs children.. They have teachers aid there to help all the children!! Do you know why they don't just make them go to special classes all day?
  • TraceyMR

Special needs is not equivalent to intellectually delayed.

• GreenEyePixie
    August 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    Not sute where to start. My sons goes 4 hours PPCD class (SN class) and 2 hours regular class with an aide. It is to help the kids get used to regular every day life. The schools goal is for the Special Needs kids to one day be able to handle typical day by day stuff.

Most schools systems don't just throw SN kids into a reg ed class without their being testing amd condsideration done. The way my son's school is they are either straight SN classroom, mainstreamed, or in an inclusion class.

They problem with todays education system isn't SN kids in regular classes. It is lazy parenting, parents who blame the school/teacher for every wrong thing their kid does, and the parents and govt making the teachers work with so many damn restrictions. It is like being told to win a fight with your hands and legs tied.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    August 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    I think ESL students contribute more to the decline in education than special needs children.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts