Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
NDADanceMom
Nearly paid for a mom's groceries... till I saw what she was buying
June 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I was at the self pay ringing up at the same time as another mom.  I was alone and she was only a few feet away so I could hear her conversation with her kids.  They were all so excited to get home because they were hungry, hadnt eaten all day.  The conversation got alarmed and the mom was saying her card wasnt working.  I could tell she needed the food and she didnt know what to do.  She was starting to walk out without her food and I was turning around to offer to pay and then I noticed the packed bags, they are clear so I could see they were filled with  chips, soda and candy.  Not one veggie or fruit. 

I decided they didnt need my help after all.

Replies

• LucyHarper
    June 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

So its better off for a family to starve then to eat chips and candy... right. Hungry kids are hungry kids, doesn't matter whats going into their stomachs as long as something is. Sure, fruits and vegetables would have been nice, but now those kids probably wont be getting dinner either. It takes a lot more fruits and vegetables to fill a hungry stomach then it does candy, they did need your help, but you chose to judge instead.

• dawnjohnson5

That is sad.

I still would have helped.

• Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7

I know.  Butttt they said they had not ate alllll day. That "crap in a bag" she was buying would at least filled their tummys. I mean you could have prevented them from going hungry tonight. But it was YOUR money and YOUR choice.

• Wendykay1
    June 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    I felt really bad for that little girl but then my husband pointed out to me that she was probably a fraud.

Quoting mamadrama15:

Wow that is absolutely terrible! 

Quoting Wendykay1:

Once when i had just finished shopping and was putting my groceries in my car a young woman came up to me with her daughter (im guessing around 4 / 5yrs old) and asked if I could give her a few bucks so she could give buy her daughter mcdonalds. I told her no but that I would be happy to purchase her some groceries at the store. I was struggling at the time but was willing to help her out.

The lady said fu I want the cash. I told her I couldn't help her out then. as they walked away the lady flipped me off and her daughter did the same.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES!

• CosmicPossum

This has been a test...and you failed.

• bcoll
    by bcoll

Really? That seems a ridiculous statement to make. I love to help, but I will choose to help with a NEED over a WANT anyday. That is my right. And the "all she could afford was cheap food" argument is beyond stretched here. It wasn't a one dollar pizza or Banquet meal, it was chips and soda. That's NOT food at all.

I'm not saying that everyone isn't entitled to a treat now and again, I'm saying OP can choose not to foot the bill.

Quoting doodlebut:

She was probably buying crap food cause that's all she could afford. I never knew that helping people came with stipulations based on your approval. Either help or don't, but leave your preferences out of it.

• Anonymous 8
    by Anonymous 8

Letting kids starve.... Smh
  • RedRozeMom
    If I could have, I would have paid. If a mom and her kid were to ask for a few bucks for mcdonalds and there was a mcdonalds right there, I would offer to buy them the meals. You see...in my reality, whenever I choose to help someone out, I do so without judgment.
  • Mom2theboy1994

Yeah, if I never eat another red-dye hot dog, with a side of canned green beans again, it will be TOO soon, lol.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

sounds a lot like my childhood.

My mom tried but she didn't always make the best healthy decision but she fed us. Money was night, we went hungry sometimes but she bought what we could afford. Most the time it was "crap" but it was better than nothing.

Quoting Mom2theboy1994:

I've bought groceries many times anonymously for people who buy things I wouldn't buy. Their need didn't diminish because I make different choices. I've been lucky enough to never have to worry about if my card was going to swipe, while having a swarm of hungry kids at my feet. But I was that hungry kid in my childhood. I just can't see not helping if I can. But that's me. 

Unfortunately too many grown adults in this world have very backwards ideas on what is healthy. She may have been buying quantity over quality. Also, I know my mom used to try to make up for the whole being poor as dirt thing by giving us the only "luxury" she could, which was junk food. (It sounds weird to call junk food a luxury, lol.)

I'm not trying to make excuses for the woman, and I'm not judging you for your decision not to help, I'm offering a different perspective. :)

• MommaLis5
    June 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

If the kids are starving and thats all the mom is willing to get, its not the kids fault.  But it was you decision not mine.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts