Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Does anyone have experience with tricyclics or MAOIs?
by Anonymous
April 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM
I see my psychiatrist tomorrow. I take Effexor, but only 75mg. Any higher dose and I have terrible anxiety attacks. I've tried every other SSRI and SNRI, but had to stop due to symptoms ranging from debilitating exhaustion(Zoloft), insomnia(Prozac) to all the others, which caused cognitive difficulties so severe they affected my work performance. Wellbutrin makes me compulsively clench my hands every waking moment.

Although I'm sure my small amount of Effexor helps, it's not enough. I want to discuss going old school and trying a tricyclic or (as a last resort) MAOI. Anyone have any experience and/or knowledge of these older drugs?

Replies

• WickdlySweet
    April 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    I was on pamelor (a tricyclic) back in the day.I would never recommend someone NOT try a medication but the side effects are worse on the older drugs.Pamelor made me so out of it all the time.I dont remember vividly,it was 16 years ago but lets just say I didnt last very long on it.Also be careful with MAOIs.Ive never taken one but I researched before and there is a strict diet you have to follow because certain common foods can cause a life threatening reaction.Make sure you do lots of research and hopefully someone else has more first hand experience than I do...
  • EmilyMarshall
    April 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    bump
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    April 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    Thank you. I'm trying to learn as much as I can between now and my appointment.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts