Mom Confessions

arigdon4
i dislike our new neighbors very much, but this was the last straw!
April 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM
We live in a verynice, very small and quiet neighborhood. There are about 20 homes and a mix of famlies,young couples ( like my husband and i) and a few students that share a house. All in all i love it here. Big back yard and great safe place to start a family....

2 weeks ago a new family moved in. They have2 dogs and 3 children. Maybe9-12. First off, they let their dogs run all over the place. Yes, most of us out here have pets but out of respect we either leash walk them, have a fenced yard or tie outs or supervise them while they are outside. Last week their dog came after mine. It irked me but i shoo'd it away. Later that night it destoryed 2 of the toys we'd left on the porchand dug up most of my veggie garden. I asked them to supervise their pets and the man was very rude to me and made it out to me my fault. Whatever...
but last night was it! Dh and i were coming home around dusk and the kids were in the street playing. Not a big deal, as i said its a very quiet area but they wouldn't move so we could pass. After several seconds of them still riding their skatebords back and forth dh honked the horn so they would move. The father came running out of his house not to getbhis kids but to yell at us for trying to run over his kids and calling racist because "you honk at all black kids like that. Think you better than us?" And several other choice words. Thank god dh didnt get an attitude but he was livid. WTH?
What are we supposednto do about annoying neighbors? And, no,we are NOT racist. I was just adding that because i didnt understand how he assumed that at all.

Replies

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    April 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    1) put dog poo in bag
    2) lay it on their porch
    3) light it on fire
    4) ring doorbell
    5) run like hell
    6) repeat
  • whitleypittman
    April 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM

um, wow. sounds like some of the African Americans in my town. Does your town have a leash law? If so, I say call animal control on their dogs, and alert any kind of authority to the kids in the street. That is very dangerous, quiet neighborhood or not.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM

see if there's a leash law in the area for the dogs.

as for the kids... if it was MY kid who was playing in teh street... well, honestly his butt would've been whooped for playing IN the street if he's got yard to play in... but i'd be alright with you inching your car towards him. not running him over, but to show him that you aint gonna back down and its your right of way. but i'm a badass mom who expects her kid to get out of the road if he's not in a car!

• arigdon4
    April 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    The car was at a dead stop while we were waiting on them, not even inching.
  • Manaroo
    by Manaroo
    April 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    A fence? I don't know, I'm having neighbor issues right now too. Next time they are in the street, instead of honking, roll down the window and ask them to move? Then they can't call you racist for honking. Do you have leash laws? If so, call animal control anytime you see a dog out of their yard.
  • othermom
    April 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Maybe call animal control about the dog, as for the kids that is messed up that he yelled at you guys for them not getting out of the street. We live on a culdisac in a quiet neighborhood and the kids do ride in the street some, but they have been taught if they see a car coming they are to go to the curb and wait till the car is gone or turns(usually they go to the curb when the car is a block away). If they don't they go in to the yard for the rest of the day for the first offence are grounded for the second.
  • onethentwins
    April 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

You can do 2 things, move or try to make friends with your new neighbors. Neighbor feuds will ruin your life.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I'm posting A. because we have been dealing with this BS for the last 3 years and I don't know if she's on here--we don't like them to know ANY of our business.

You've got 3 choices--YOU move, YOU stay, you get THEM to move(legally, of course).  It really SUCKS ROYALLY when YOU were there FIRST and someone moves in (NEIGHBORS FROM HELL) and makes your life miserable.

From the sounds of it, this guy is not going to be easy to get along with.  If you want to stay and they are RIGHT next door, you will have to possibly put up as high a privacy fence as possible.  If they are already letting their dog run loose on YOUR PROPERTY and they have only been there two weeks........sounds  to me like  they have no respect for OTHER PEOPLE'S property/possessions. I would be checking if there is a leash law in your area.  Has your property been professionally surveyed/do you know where the property markers are? Are they visible/set in cement?? I would be finding out immediately the location of PM.

I would be very careful since you already said the man was rude to you. If you find out what your leash law states and you try to bring it to their attention, you might be retaliated against. If you get ANY SIGNS of real problems...retaliation/violence and you want to stay living there, I would be installing surveillance immediately.

If you are retaliated against, possibly do some digging to find out any prior arrests/police reports/criminal background/etc. Then hopefully, you will have some ammunition to bring to the attention of law enforcement. Welcome to the club no one wants to be in...............

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Sorry,gotta post anon incase a neighbor of mine is a cmer! Anyhow,I would try to go over and talk with them with your hubby just to see if maybe that works. Neighbor feuds are awful,we have had a few. Luckily,we didnt really work anything out but we tolerate our one neighbor who are younger in their 20s and have dogs that run all over and poop all over.Their kid runs all over.They are from the city,we live in a town 45 min from a city.They do not talk or bother with anyone on this street,even their other neighbor who is an older lady.They just dont care.We found it better if we just look away and dont even acknowledge them and they do the same.I tried going over with a gift when they first moved in.We just found they are not like us.We would love to move to an area and have atleast an acre but its not in the cards yet.You really need atleast a few good neighbors though,esp when you go away.Our other neighbors get our mail and we are friends.We basically talk to everyone around but the mean ones next door.You can only try so much.Its been 5yrs now that theyve been here and no budging,no matter how nice and friendly,sending stuff over for holidays etc,they will not be respectful,so we moved on.

• arigdon4
    April 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    BUMB!

Mom Confessions