Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
ramonafrog
I yelled at a lady today after almost running over her kid
February 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM
So I'm driving down my street on the way to pick up my kids from school. There's a house across the street from me that always has about 15 kids running around outside, ranging in age from 2- about 10ish, completely unsupervised. I'm always aware of the situation so I drive past the house driving very slowly. Well today as I'm passing their van parked in the street 2 little boys about 3 years old jump out from behind the van and run directly in front of my car and across to the other side of the street. I slammed on my brakes and literally barely missed hitting them by what had to be inches. Im panicking. My blood pressure shot through the roof and I almost blacked out. I was in tears and shaking. I couldn't imagine if I actually would've ran over someone's kid.
I parked my car and went to the front door. There were 6 adults inside smoking pot... None of them even aware that they almost nearly lost their child. So I just start yelling at them... And before I realize what I'm doing I'm cussing at them. I say, "do any of you realize your babies are running across the street?! I just almost fucking ran over 2 of them! And you're all sitting in here high as a kite just oblivious to reality. What the hell would you have done if your kid was laying dead in the street right now?!" then turned around and left.
I was livid! I almost couldn't even drive to pick my own kids up from school. What the hell would I have done had I actually hit one of those kids??!!! ... Or both??

For those of you who think I should've called the police, I was literally at a loss for rational thought. I didn't know what to do and couldn't even think straight. Had I not been so upset I would've called the cops.

Replies

• baquick
    by baquick
    February 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    I think it had to do with the circumstances. Depending on hay each case evidence finds.

Quoting twisted_charlie:

I wonder if that varies. The town where I grew up in had a case maybe 2-3ish years ago where a man was driving his truck and a little girl no more than five years old came out of nowhere on a little kid type 4 wheeler. He hit her and she died. He was not charged and it was ruled an accident. The family of the little girl tried to sue the man that hit their daughter and he ultimately won because they were not supervising her and it was proven.

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

If you would have hit one or both the sad thing is, because of lck of parental guidance on their end, you would still end up charged with man slaughter and fined immensely.  You have every right to be upset I would too.  Good thing you were paying attention.

• DomoniqueWS
    February 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Rules change if wheels are involved.  say your kid is riding a bike and gets hit, no longer the drivers fault if proper bike riding laws were not followed.  Same thing, at least here, counts for anything that is to be ridden in the street.  But on foot, pedestrians are always favored. Not a Pedestrian any more if driving an ATV

Quoting twisted_charlie:

I wonder if that varies. The town where I grew up in had a case maybe 2-3ish years ago where a man was driving his truck and a little girl no more than five years old (strike that, the child was 10 and on a ATV) came out of nowhere on a little kid type 4 wheeler. He hit her and she died. He was not charged and it was ruled an accident. The family of the little girl tried to sue the man that hit their daughter and he ultimately won because they were not supervising her and it was proven.

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

If you would have hit one or both the sad thing is, because of lck of parental guidance on their end, you would still end up charged with man slaughter and fined immensely.  You have every right to be upset I would too.  Good thing you were paying attention.

• twisted_charlie
    February 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM

That makes sense. Still scary to know that parents can leave their children unsupervised, them get hurt through no fault of someone else (running out in front of a car for example), and the driver still be in trouble for it.

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

Rules change if wheels are involved.  say your kid is riding a bike and gets hit, no longer the drivers fault if proper bike riding laws were not followed.  Same thing, at least here, counts for anything that is to be ridden in the street.  But on foot, pedestrians are always favored. Not a Pedestrian any more if driving an ATV

Quoting twisted_charlie:

I wonder if that varies. The town where I grew up in had a case maybe 2-3ish years ago where a man was driving his truck and a little girl no more than five years old (strike that, the child was 10 and on a ATV) came out of nowhere on a little kid type 4 wheeler. He hit her and she died. He was not charged and it was ruled an accident. The family of the little girl tried to sue the man that hit their daughter and he ultimately won because they were not supervising her and it was proven.

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

• GoneBad31
    February 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

My uncle accidentally ran over a child that was on foot because of a very similar situation as the OP. The child died and my uncle was never charged with anything. Now, if he had been speeding or drinking it would have been a totally different scenario, but that was not the case.

Thank goodness that is the case and he was not charged. It was not his fault at all and it has been over 20 years ago and it still bothers him and haunts him to this day. He suffered enough without irrational laws that would have landed him with a felony.

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

Quoting twisted_charlie:

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

• ramonafrog
    February 8, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    Wow. Poor guy :(

Quoting GoneBad31:

My uncle accidentally ran over a child that was on foot because of a very similar situation as the OP. The child died and my uncle was never charged with anything. Now, if he had been speeding or drinking it would have been a totally different scenario, but that was not the case.

Thank goodness that is the case and he was not charged. It was not his fault at all and it has been over 20 years ago and it still bothers him and haunts him to this day. He suffered enough without irrational laws that would have landed him with a felony.

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

Quoting twisted_charlie:

Quoting DomoniqueWS:

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    Is this what parents do when they justify their pot smoking. The ones who say, " I don't smoke around my kids". Is that because they are outside running unsupervised.
  • AphroditesCurse
    February 8, 2012 at 1:38 AM
    Call CPS my dad is a case worker he says eventually they investigate it all
  • vrbtnseele
    February 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM
    These parents make ALL parents who smoke look bad too. I smoke, but when I do my daughters in bed, or INSIDE with one of my sisters. I go outside.
  • Schleetle
    February 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM
    How scary. If you see the kids in the street again you should definitely call the police.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts