Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
MaryJ6621
Would she qualify for a service dog or cat?
November 3 at 4:53 PM

My daughter is 8 and has social issues, SPD, ADHD. And we are waiting to see if she has anxiety. We also belive she is developing mild depression. Basically, we have decided she should have one because on Halloween there were a few rude people who did not give her candy. My husband and I said trick or treat and thank you for her. Most did not care, but a few refused to give her any. She is in therapy and on some medication, but it does not work very well at all. She loves animals. She is in riding (horse) therapy once a week. But she can not bring horses with her wherever she goes. She also has a lot of different kinds of therapy and medication trying to find what works. So would she qualfiy? Thanks.

Replies

• MommysGirls0607
    November 9 at 11:11 AM
    From what I have been told my daughter is to young for a epilepsy dog and she is 11. You're daughter might be to young however you could get her one as a pet. A kitten could help her. She could even learn how to feed and care for it buy herself. Doesn't have to be through the state. Good luck
  • d.ksmom
    by d.ksmom
    Yesterday at 12:25 AM
    I think what you are talking about is a "therapy" animal. A service dog is specifically trained to meet a need the person can't meet themselves. Cats and other animals can't be service animals, only dogs. The only animal allowed to go in public places that other animals can't is a service dog. It's expensive to get a service dog and the waiting lists are incredibly long. Most programs don't accept young children. You also have to be very careful because there are a lot of scams that will take your money and give you a poorly trained dog.
  • karene999
    Yesterday at 11:09 AM

A service dog performs specific functions for an individual. A support animal is for emotional support.  

My son qualified for a service dog because of elopement issues, anxiety, and behavioral support. You would need to get a prescription from a psychiatrist or developmental ped, without an script the school does not have to allow the animal to accompany her.

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts