Raising Special Needs Kids

heldcaptiveby2
why can't he leave it alone?
October 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
My son is 9 years old and nonverbal. He recently broke his mattress, by taking it off his bed and jumping it til the sides gave out.
I just bought him a brand new mattress. I don't want this one to break does anyone have any ideas of how to keep it on his bed?

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    October 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I'm sorry mama!  Hugs!  I'm honestly not sure...

• SnapShotMama
    October 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

depending on what kind of frame you have you could zip tie it down. cut a hole through the side and then under side, put the zip tie through and around, and just do it like every 5 or so inches so he cant just rip the bed off. or try and get a memory foam mattress, expensive but hey nothing to be broken at least right lol

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    October 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    What about getting him a small exercize trampoline he could keep in his room?
  • heldcaptiveby2
    October 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    He actually has 2 trapolines! A bit one in our yard and a small one in the playroom\den.
  • arkansasmama08
    October 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    I like the zip tie idea. My first thought was duct tape and that brought kind of a crazy me tal picture, so zip ties may be a better option ;)
  • Momof4AEMW
    October 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I like both the zip tie and trampoline idea!! 

• heldcaptiveby2
    October 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    Anyone know where I can get mattress size zip ties?
  • arkansasmama08
    October 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting heldcaptiveby2:

Anyone know where I can get mattress size zip ties?

hardware stores should have them. Walmart might even. They're just regular zipties but you'll have to cut a small hole in the mattress to thread them thru. If you use enough of them it'll hold. I don't envy you that tedious job though!
  • heldcaptiveby2
    October 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    I just got back from wally world and I got these rachet straps! And for now it's working.
    Thanks everyone! :-)
  • letstalk747
    Joy
    October 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM

welcome , im joy ,try and come up weith something else he can jump on safely

Raising Special Needs Kids