Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
heldcaptiveby2
why can't he leave it alone?
October 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
My son is 9 years old and nonverbal. He recently broke his mattress, by taking it off his bed and jumping it til the sides gave out.
I just bought him a brand new mattress. I don't want this one to break does anyone have any ideas of how to keep it on his bed?

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    October 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I'm sorry mama!  Hugs!  I'm honestly not sure...

• SnapShotMama
    October 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

depending on what kind of frame you have you could zip tie it down. cut a hole through the side and then under side, put the zip tie through and around, and just do it like every 5 or so inches so he cant just rip the bed off. or try and get a memory foam mattress, expensive but hey nothing to be broken at least right lol

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    October 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    What about getting him a small exercize trampoline he could keep in his room?
  • heldcaptiveby2
    October 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    He actually has 2 trapolines! A bit one in our yard and a small one in the playroom\den.
  • arkansasmama08
    October 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    I like the zip tie idea. My first thought was duct tape and that brought kind of a crazy me tal picture, so zip ties may be a better option ;)
  • Momof4AEMW
    October 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I like both the zip tie and trampoline idea!! 

• heldcaptiveby2
    October 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    Anyone know where I can get mattress size zip ties?
  • arkansasmama08
    October 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting heldcaptiveby2:

Anyone know where I can get mattress size zip ties?

hardware stores should have them. Walmart might even. They're just regular zipties but you'll have to cut a small hole in the mattress to thread them thru. If you use enough of them it'll hold. I don't envy you that tedious job though!
  • heldcaptiveby2
    October 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    I just got back from wally world and I got these rachet straps! And for now it's working.
    Thanks everyone! :-)
  • letstalk747
    Joy
    October 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM

welcome , im joy ,try and come up weith something else he can jump on safely

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts