Raising Special Needs Kids

mlogsdon
Not taking his medicine.
June 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Nathaniel gets medicine in the morning when he wakes up, and at night when he goes to bed. It has been this way from the start. But just recently he has started fighting me. When he was really little we used to have to put his meds in his bottles, even though thats not ideal it was the only way we could get him to take it. He always gagged and threw up at the syringes. A few months ago he started using the syringes and it was working great. But this entire week he has fought me, and will spit out his meds and turn his face purple from crying so hard. I had to start putting them back in his bottles. 

Any suggestions on how to make this less stressful for him? I stay calm, try to soothe him, let him play with an empty syringe so he can see its not something awful, sing him songs, etc. but he still has a full on meltdown when he sees the syringe come out. Im worried that with him pushing his bottles away, I won't be able to give him his medicine in the future. 

Replies

• benny1031
    June 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Have you tried putting it in applesauce or puddingmine went through the same thing he takes a pill we started gving it to him in a hershey kiss. I believe that thisnis just a phase and he will get over it. Just give it a little time. Big hugs.
  • mandee1503
    June 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I have no hints, Jacob has a feeding tube.

• mlogsdon
    June 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Quoting benny1031:

Have you tried putting it in applesauce or puddingmine went through the same thing he takes a pill we started gving it to him in a hershey kiss. I believe that thisnis just a phase and he will get over it. Just give it a little time. Big hugs.

Im hoping its just because his routine was thrown off. He had a sleep study, and then DH left for training, and he started fighting. Mayyyybe now that DH is back we can get back to it, he really never had a problem before! He would smile and open wide and say ahhhh when he saw the syringe lol. Totally took me by surprise when he started getting upset at it.

• Linagma03
    June 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I wish I could be of help. Lina has always taken her medication even if it tastes terriable she still takes it I just let her have a drink from my cup and that seems to make it all better. She makes faces & tells me it is ucky but she takes it anyway. 

• RShay735
    June 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I have the same problem with my daughter, only she's 16. I wish I had more suggestions. We always bribe her into it with food or something else she really likes. You could try hiding it in his food. I know it's not the best thing to sneak it to them, but if the medication is necessary, it's the best you can do until you can get them to see that taking their meds isn't all that bad. It's hopefully just a phase.

• jjamom
    by jjamom
    June 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    My son has always been so good about taking his meds. We are so lucky, since he still takes two each day.

My older son used to hate it spit it out, cry, scream, fight. It was a nightmare. We struggled each time he had a course if meds (lucky nothing daily or ongoing).

I was warned with him though, not to put the meds in the bottle because if he doesn't take the full bottle, he wouldn't get the full dose, so we always just struggled through it.
  • mlogsdon
    June 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Quoting jjamom:

My son has always been so good about taking his meds. We are so lucky, since he still takes two each day.

My older son used to hate it spit it out, cry, scream, fight. It was a nightmare. We struggled each time he had a course if meds (lucky nothing daily or ongoing).

I was warned with him though, not to put the meds in the bottle because if he doesn't take the full bottle, he wouldn't get the full dose, so we always just struggled through it.

That's why I don't like doing bottles. He does usually drink the whole thing, and i put it in with 2 oz so he gets that first, then give him the rest. He usually takes 6 total. So i know hes getting the whole dose, i just realllly want him to take it normally. 

• jjamom
    by jjamom
    June 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM

That's a good idea to add it to a smaller amount first to make sure he gets it all and then give him more,

I wish I had an answer or tip for getting him to take them.  My little guy used to take 9 different meds a day, so I know how lucky we are that he takes them so easily.  He opens up for the syringe like a little baby bird, lol.  

Good luck!

Quoting mlogsdon:

Quoting jjamom:

That's why I don't like doing bottles. He does usually drink the whole thing, and i put it in with 2 oz so he gets that first, then give him the rest. He usually takes 6 total. So i know hes getting the whole dose, i just realllly want him to take it normally. 

• darbyakeep45
    June 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Hugs mama!  Before Brady had his g-tube, I would sing a song (that I made up) while giving him his meds...he did fine with it for the most part, but then when he got his feeding tube, I just did meds through that as it was easier.  Good luck!

Raising Special Needs Kids