Raising Special Needs Kids

lifewithbob
HE DOESN'T SEEM TO NEED SLEEP, BUT I LOOK LIKE THE WALKING DEAD.
June 29, 2013 at 1:52 AM

My little man has major sleep issue's, when school is out he doesn't sleep, it's 2;00 am  and he's in his bed singing the soundtrack to the lion king, I can barely stay awake. Is this a common autism problem? 

Replies

• mandee1503
    June 29, 2013 at 2:02 AM
    No experience but hope you get some sleep.
  • Linagma03
    June 29, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I have no experience. Hugs Momma! I hope you can get some sleep. I am sure one of the Mom's here will be able to help you out some!

• mlogsdon
    June 29, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Not sure momma, i have no experience with this, but i hope you both get some rest tonight!

• SAMI_JO
    by SAMI_JO
    June 29, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Yes! Our neuro told us that ds brain never slows down to sleep. So they put him on Clonidine to help him rest. Sometimes even with his meds, he won't sleep for 2-3 days. It is very exhausting.

• darbyakeep45
    June 29, 2013 at 6:37 AM

My son is Autistic but sleeps pretty well.  Hugs mama!

• girl_incognito
    June 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Yep, very common. I have Aspergers and my son does too... we both have very strange sleep habits... he stays up late and I get up very early. It's easier for us now that he is older... but man when he was little it was REALLY difficult.

It also sounds like since his routine is off... he is a bit "off" too.

How is he during the day after having nights like these? How old is your son? 

• Trabrooke
    June 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM

My child has ds and aut she is eighteen yrs old and we get between 2and 3 hours sleep a night  but she seems to manage   Hugs to you  I found something she liked and did a reward chart with stickers  might help 

• arkansasmama08
    June 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Ouch :(. Sorry mama. My youngest doesn't sleep wonderfully, but he's nothing like that. He's been staying up later and getting up earlier but I think it's a daylight savings issue with the sun coming up earlier and staying up later.
  • lifewithbob
    June 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

HE'S 11,   I KNOW WITH THE AUTISM  PART OF THE PROBLEM IS OUR ROUTINE BEING OFF BECAUSE SCHOOL IS OUT FOR SUMMER....IF NOTHING ELSE IT WILL STRAIGHTEN OUT FOR US IN AUGUST, WHEN SCHOOL STARTS AGAIN.....WHAT DOESN'T BREAK US MAKES US ...

• N.Carter2001
    June 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Yes it is. . My son is 5 years old and he has autism. In the past he would not sleep.He would stay up to midnight  but get back up at 3am and be up for the day.  I was told to try  melatonin. It works very well with him and after a year he goes to bed on his own sometimes with out meds.  

Raising Special Needs Kids