Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
Kat31
Allergies/behavior
by Kat31
April 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Does anyone's child take medication for allergies? Have you noticed a change in their behavior, for better or worse? My 8 year old has allergy shiners, nasal/sinus congestion, the sniffles, and occasional watery eyes. He is irritable and tired a lot and has trouble sleeping. The doctor said to try an OTC drug like Claritin or Zyrtec. I've heard horror stories about children turning into moody monsters while on allergy medication. Considering his mood currently I would be very upset if medication made things worse. Has anyone had a behavior/personality change for the better after treating allergies because of better sleep patterns, less crankiness etc?

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    April 19, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Brady (4.5 years old) takes Claritin and has never had an issue with it.  Good luck!

• sdonnell
    April 19, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    My daughter is 6 she takes claritin and she never has problems and she has really mad allergies she's also on flonase and ashma meds.... good luck
  • arkansasmama08
    April 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    Jeremiah is 3 and has been on Claritin and an inhaler for a year. It's never made him moody. It does hype him up a bit, but anything does for that child lol.
  • Marti123
    April 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM

My child is on Zyrtec, and we have done nasal steroids and he did fine on them; feeling much better and has more energy, but he is my typical child, not my SN.

I work in healthcare, and  there are always those who have adverse reactions; but honestly effectively treating allergies in majority of patients usually improves behavior and school performance. Imagine functioning & trying to sleep everyday like you have a bad cold, for weeks, you are tired, irritable, cranky, that is what moderate to severe allergies is like for our children. It can be quite miserable. Also with as severe as your son's allergies sound a zyrtec or claritin may not be enough to treat him. He may need additional treamtments.

Also the half-life of these drugs is relatively short, meaning they will get out of his system in a reasonable time, if you notice side effects.

Good luck,  I hope you find a solution and he does well. 

• iamtryingforme
    April 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My dd has been on generic claritin since she was 6 she is now 9 and has no problems with it.

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    April 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    My son takes zyrtec and I've never heard of anyone's kids having issues with behavior if those meds. My son also takes an allergy eyedrop, nasonex, and zyrtec. No behavior issues from those meds
  • gma12.1
    by gma12.1
    April 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Lina and her sister both have allergies. Sister A has them really bad now. When they both began showing allergy signs they were irriatable, whiny, tired but unable to sleep. The Dr began each on Claritin which didn't do anything for Lina and after 2 months I switched her to OTC Zyrtec which began to work in 24 hours, she stopped being whiny, she was able to sleep at night because she could breathe again, and was back to her normal self. Now A on the other hand being a teenager she was already irriatable, whiny, moody etc. her allergies did make it worse and the Claritin worked the first year she was on it for her seasonal allergies. A now is on Zyrtec because Claritin stopped working and she only had to take it for like 5 months out of the year. Like her little sister the Zyrtec began to work almost immediately and she has to take it daily all year because of the allergies she has developed. She is pretty much back to normal, at least as normal as a 14 yr old girl can be. lol

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts