Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
grandmalove2012
Anyone here get SSI for their child(ren)? ** UPDATE 3/13
January 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I applied for SSI for my youngest daughter, who has Sturge Weber Syndrome on 10/17, and I haven't heard anything back yet.   I have an older daughter who has ODD, ADHD and is cognitively disabled who gets SSI, and it took just a little under 3 months to get approved.   

Someone told me that the longer it takes to hear from them, the greater the possibility that my daughter will get turned down.

How long did it take for your child to get approved for SSI, if you were approved?

UPDATE:  I got a letter today in the mail from the State of Wisconsin that handles disability claims and they want a friend or relative to fill out a form about my daughters seizure activity. I have ten days to have someone fill it out and get sent back to them, or they'll use what they have to determine if my daughter is eligible.   Kind of sounds like she's going to be turned down to me.

:(   Ugh!     What do you think?   It's been over 3 months since I filed for my daughter, and they couldn't send this paper work out before now? 

ANOTHER UPDATE:   It will be five months on the 16th of March, since I applied, and I still haven't heard anything.  I'm debating on whether or not to call?  

Could this be a good thing that I haven't heard anything or a bad thing?  Lke they're trying to decide??

CURRENT UPDATE:   Well...  I called Social Security today.  The agent said that it's still processing.   She said that if I didn't hear back by March 9th, to call them again.  Good grief.  I just want a "yes" or a "no".  

Update as of 3/13:    I called the Disability Determination Bureau today and all they could tell me was that it was assigned to an examiner and that it's pending.  *sighs*  Guess I'll wait another two weeks and check up on it again.    I just don't want them to send something out and then I not get it, and then we lose the 5 months that it'll be since I filed on the 16th (saturday)

Replies

• tiffs2009
    January 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    My son has it and I'm going to apply for dd. it took a few months. I think like 3-4? Idk but yu can call!
  • Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    January 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

It took 6 months before we heard anything from them and we got approved (and it was our first try) and then it  took another month after that to receive our first payment

• grandmalove2012
    January 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM

What do you say when you call them? 

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    January 23, 2013 at 1:43 AM
    Just ask to set up an appt to get SSI for your child :)

Quoting grandmalove2012:

• darbyakeep45
    January 23, 2013 at 3:32 AM

No experience...hugs and good luck!

• 1CopaceticMama
    January 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM

It was almost 15 years ago when I applied for my son but I remember it took about 6-9 months and he was approved.

• tobysmom103
    January 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM

it took about 6 months to get approved for toby

• JenaSmith
    January 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    I got a app beginning of jan then recieved papers and done everything needed that was within 2weeks but haven't heard anything since so ill prob call end week to make sure they got my last paper. Lady told me that it can be anywhere from a month to more. Depending on dr records and getting all the info plus they will give you a drs app with another dr if they aren't sure about it first. Like if they want to see for themselves basically. Just call and say you want to check on your child's disability process.
  • grandmalove2012
    January 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM

lol   My bad- I think you misunderstood me.  I already applied for SSI and I'm waiting. 

Quoting Mipsy:

Just ask to set up an appt to get SSI for your child :)

Quoting grandmalove2012:

• letstalk747
    Joy
    January 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM

like 3 months  , to get results from testings back and have their people go over it

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN