Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
JenaSmith
Communication with ur sn child... Thanks ladies! My reply below
November 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Conner is deaf and sign language is hard for him sort of cause he has sporatic movement of his hands and fingers. He is a year this wed and i feel bad cause i cant communicate with him like i wish to. I know he is still young but i was wondering how do you communicate with your child if they cant hear or talk? Thank you all for answering! I am going to continue to sign with him. I didnt know about the pecs system and i looked into it and it sounds like a good idea to try. Im going to start off with simple things like eat or bath. And take the pictures myself. :) yaw have been so helpful again thanks

Replies

• LivinDeadGurl
    November 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Maybe try visuals to help with the communication.

My son can hear, but he has autism and was mostly nonverbal. We used a lot of objects and pictures to help him learn (along with signing).

For instance, a little plastic fork was for food.

It helped a lot in our house.

• Elyssa414
    November 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    My son couldn't talk until he was over 5, and couldn't talk a lot until he was 8... We used pecs and a talking board (vantage) plus sign-

But really, as he grows he will find ways to communicate his needs! My foster son is almost completely non-verbal and has very poor muscle control, and he has invented his own signs and gestures and pointing and grunting to get what he wants/needs across to us. Kids are very inventive about communication once try choose to be!

(My one year old doesn't really talk or sign at all yet) :)
  • willysmama
    November 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM

willy wont talk very often. Just when he feels like it. We use signs, words, blinks, pictures, and we play the guessing game if he won't answer

• Bellum
    by Bellum
    November 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I would do total communication.  Stick with sign language, because he will still be able to understand you siging to him, and like already mentioned, try the PECS system.  As he gets older, other communication methods will also work, especially if he is able to do some reading, even if it is individual words.  You may just need to try different ways until you come to a method that works best for him.  I will say that he really should continue to learn and understand sign language.  As he gets older, he will probably have more exposure to other deaf individuals, and he will appreciate knowing sign. 

• jdip5
    by jdip5
    November 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

We used sign language for Jack's basic needs (like hunger, thirst, bathroom, etc.) and PECS for his more advanced needs/wants (such as specific toys or foods).  

• Cd13
    by Cd13
    November 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I would use sign lanuage, and use that to communicate. As he gets older, you may want to try to tech him to lip read

• jjamom
    by jjamom
    November 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    We used a variety of methods to communicate with our son until speech got good enough to be used most. His signs were not always accurate, but we could get what he was trying to do. We also used gestures, body language, "show me" once he got mobile and could take us and show is. They trird PECS (picture exchange system) with him, but he never took to it. It may work for your little one, though. You could try making a few simple ones (like bed, bath, food, drink) and see if he picks it up.
  • singlemotherof8
    November 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM

My 21 year old is none verbal and she uses some sign and writes things down but mostly uses her Say-it-Sam to communicate with. It can talk or be silence and you can read what she has put up. Her first one was hardly used because of being sent in to be fixed several times, but the one she has now has been allot better.

• Hottubgodess
    November 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Patience.....he will be able to get it. He is only one.  :) 

MIke is my Aspie, and has trouble communicating when angry.  We use our own "signs" at times.  So just reward for what work your kiddo does.  :)  He will get it. 

• darbyakeep45
    November 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Glad these ladies gave you some great answers...I would have suggested pecs too!  Hugs and good luck mama!

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts