Raising Special Needs Kids

JasonsMom2007
i feel so stupid!
November 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM
I just realized that my son with spd wipes his face on his shirt instead of a napkin because its so much softer! I cannot believe it has taken me this long. 2 years of battling him to use his napkin and stained sleeves then boom duh!
So now I'm going to make him some cloth napkins. I just need some sturdy, soft fabric for them. Hmmm

Replies

• Xandriasmommy
    November 18, 2012 at 2:55 AM
    I just realized my dd acts like a dinosaur when she's over stimulated so I feel you. It was like, duh, why didn't I see that before! And you are not stupid! You just didn't make the connection until now

Check your dollar store for baby wash clothes, got some when Allie was a baby and I use those still on her face. They held up better than the gerber ones!
  • JasonsMom2007
    November 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM
    I have a whole basket of baby washcloths still. I don't think they will be big enough for the job but they will work for now :)
  • Xandriasmommy
    November 18, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    Does he like the feel of terry cloth? Maybe an old towel can be cut up...Allie hates terry cloth but its an option if he's okay with it.
  • JasonsMom2007
    November 18, 2012 at 3:03 AM
    Idk if he would be ok with it near his mouth. Hes so sensitive there skin to skin hurts even
  • darbyakeep45
    November 18, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Don't feel that way mama...we all have things like that where it takes us time to figure out!  You're a great mama!  Hugs!

• willysmama
    November 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM

some of my son's bibs are made of fleece. He doesn't like the feel of napkins that much, so i made some bibs out of fleece like he has at school and he loves them

• gma12.1
    by gma12.1
    November 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Guess what I JUST NOW had a "DUH" moment! After reading your post I am thinking that Lina might be showing a symptom of something new and that maybe I should have requested an appt with the behavioral/developmental dr sooner than I have!   See We All Have Them!       **face palm & lol**

• arkansasmama08
    November 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    Sew a couple together?
    There's almost always a reason behind the strange things they do. The trick is finding it! Don't worry. It's taken us a long time to pick up on ours too.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I have a whole basket of baby washcloths still. I don't think they will be big enough for the job but they will work for now :)

• Nicholy10
    November 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

That's an idea!! My son hates tissues, after years of battling him I noticed something he loves recieving blankets (using them as tissues "wipers" as he calls them). Which I use them to wipe the baby when he spits up and such, so hey I just bought extra. :o) 

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    November 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I was going to suggest receiving blankets as well.  You can usually find those things CHEAP at resale shops or goodwill.  

Raising Special Needs Kids