Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
JasonsMom2007
I need an interpreter
October 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I just picked up a copy of my son's records from behavioral health.  His diagnosis...

Anxiety Dis NOS

Envresis 

Inpulse Control Dis NOS

R/O PDD NOS

Can anybody help me out here?  I know what anxiety is but what is the rest of this?

Replies

• mom2zachy122
    October 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I think that might be enuresis, which is consistent difficulty holding urine.  In other words, he wets himself on a regular basis.

Impulse Control is the ability to think FIRST, act NEXT.  Impulse control disorder is a condition where a child lashes out or seemingly "can't stop myself".  Even though he may feel badly later or can verbalize "I shouldn't (hit, kick, push the blinking red button) because (it is wrong, it hurts, it starts a fight, it will send an alarm signal to the police station), he just keeps doing it.  My grandparents called this "ornery", but it has a real basis in brain physiology.  There's a disconnect between the thinking part of the brain and the acting part of the brain.

r/o stands for rule-out, which means try and figure out if this is a definite diagnosis or not.  PDD is Pervasive Developmental Disorder which is a disorder on the mild-moderate end of the autism spectrum.  The NOS stands for No Origin Specified, which means that there's no clear reason for why the child has this issue/diagnosis, such as an accident in utero or a head injury or a gentic component.

• girl_incognito
    October 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Just FYI- NOS stands for not otherwise specified

anxiety dis NOS-Anxiety disorder not otherwise specified- means that there are signs of anxiety but not all diagnostic criteria for other specific anxiety disorders are present.

Enuresis is bedwetting

Impulse control NOS-  not being able to think cause and effect, ya know IF i do this action then this will happen. they usually act first then think oh no I did wrong. again the NOS means that there are symtpoms of impulse control problems but they do not meet diagnostic criteria for other specific impulse control disorders.

PDD NOS-Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not otherwise specified. it's on the autistic spectrum but does not meet full criteria for autism or aspergers. With R/o on the paperwork it means that it was actually ruled out

• sammygrl77
    October 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Wow the momas on here are good! Glad they were able to help!
  • JasonsMom2007
    October 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Thanks ladies. Its really bothering me that the report says "mom was slow to set limits initially but she did react and respond appropriately as time progressed"
    You mean when he was dancing and laughing (he has a loud laugh) around the room because you gave him an extremely loud dancing animal toy to play with? Of course he was being loud! Maybe you shouldn't give that toy to kids when you want to talk to their parents instead of blaming it on lack of setting limits?
  • mandee1503
    October 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Glad they were able to help deciphering!

• lifeisajoy
    October 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Yep mommas got it--glad they could help and sometimes yes -I have to remember well they see the kids for 2 hours and the mom is with their child all the time--

I sat back and reflected that all the time--for if I was with the child/teen for 4 hours a week --that is not going to show how the kid acts (or don't act) all week-- (I was a behavioral consultant and mobile therapist)

• JasonsMom2007
    October 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    The thing is I'm looking at his report and he said my 2 year old was loud (she was sitting on my lap sucking her thumb) and my son slammed a door possibly breaking it (not true, he didn't even close any doors).

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Yep mommas got it--glad they could help and sometimes yes -I have to remember well they see the kids for 2 hours and the mom is with their child all the time--

I sat back and reflected that all the time--for if I was with the child/teen for 4 hours a week --that is not going to show how the kid acts (or don't act) all week-- (I was a behavioral consultant and mobile therapist)

• natesmom1228
    October 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Good job ladies!!! This is a great group of mommies.

• lifeisajoy
    October 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I would discuss with an advocate that and see if you can get changed or if feel comfortable-talk to him but it sounds like he would not be one to talk to--you can grieve the parts of reports if you want to--they should tell you how-

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The thing is I'm looking at his report and he said my 2 year old was loud (she was sitting on my lap sucking her thumb) and my son slammed a door possibly breaking it (not true, he didn't even close any doors).

Quoting lifeisajoy:

• darbyakeep45
    October 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM

These ladies are beyond amazing!  SO glad to have you all in the group!  Thanks for enlightening all of us!

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts