Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
darbyakeep45
Sick little boy...please help! UPDATE
October 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Brady isn't feel well...not sure what's wrong though...any insight from you ladies would be greatly appreciated!

FYI - Brady has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, 16p Chromosome Duplication, & Brain Damage.

Brady started out with a fever of 101 yesterday, then it got up over 102 last night, and he was shaking most of the night.  He slept in the bed with me as he woke up around midnight crying.  His appetite is nonexistent...he's eaten nothing since yesterday mid afternoon.  He has a g-tube (feeding tube) so I have him half of his normal volume of a night feed, and he's kept that down fine.  I've continued to give him water through his tube today so far and he's yet to throw up or having diahhrea...actually, to be quite honest, he hasn't pooped (a decent size one) since Tuesday.  He's had small pellets but that's it.  Typically with a blockage in the abdomen you will find vomiting, but he's yet to vomit.  CF patients are at a greater risk for abdominal blockages.  He's had problems with them in the past.  He is VERY lethargic...VERY tired, just laying on the couch, not sitting up or anything.  I went to give him a bath this morning and he tried to lay down in the water as he obviously didn't want to sit up.  He's not himself at all.  His fever was 102.5 this morning, but with motrin, it went back down.  He felt a little warm a bit ago, so I gave him more motrin.  He is a little congested, and his breathing is heavy, but I gave him a sinus rinse in the bath tub this morning and his congestion improved.  

What in the world could be going on?  Virus?  Something else?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks:)

UPDATE - Just talked to his doctor....she thinks it's probably viral and wants us to give another day and see how he does.  The fact that he's keeping down the fluids is a good sign:)  She's going to call tomorrow to check on him and we will go from there.  Thanks for your support ladies!

Replies

• mom2zachy122
    October 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Could be a virus, but with viruses you usually see low grade fever (between 99.5 and 101).  Small pellets argue for abdominal blockage but no vomiting argues against it....no help there.  Lethargy and fatigue would go with the fever higher than 101 or 101.5.  Does he perk up for a short while after Motrin and then become increasingly more symptomatic as the 4 hour timeframe gets closer?  The sinus rinse is good...it helps to clear out anything that's in there, which might  why he's a little better afterwards.  It wil help to keep his nasal passages moist, too, so the mucous that keeps coming will be able to exit more easily.  You may have to keep up with the nasal rinses....MD can tell you how many per day.

Have you called your MD?  If it was just a fever and congestion, I would think URI, but best to be careful with the CF/possible abdominal blockages....

Good luck.  We'll be adding him to our prayer list!

• darbyakeep45
    October 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

This is why I LOVE this group...thank you so much mama!  You've confirmed a lot of what I've thought...he does have a history of UTIs and kidney infections...

He does perk up for a very short time after I give the motrin and goes right back to being lethargic and such.  He typically gets 2 sinus rinses each day as that is part of his daily treatment plan...I wanted to be sure to do that this morning and it did help indeed.  He sounds okay right now.  He just feel asleep! 

I'm about to call his doctor now:)  Thanks mama!

Quoting mom2zachy122:

Could be a virus, but with viruses you usually see low grade fever (between 99.5 and 101).  Small pellets argue for abdominal blockage but no vomiting argues against it....no help there.  Lethargy and fatigue would go with the fever higher than 101 or 101.5.  Does he perk up for a short while after Motrin and then become increasingly more symptomatic as the 4 hour timeframe gets closer?  The sinus rinse is good...it helps to clear out anything that's in there, which might  why he's a little better afterwards.  It wil help to keep his nasal passages moist, too, so the mucous that keeps coming will be able to exit more easily.  You may have to keep up with the nasal rinses....MD can tell you how many per day.

Have you called your MD?  If it was just a fever and congestion, I would think URI, but best to be careful with the CF/possible abdominal blockages....

• mom2zachy122
    October 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

This is why I LOVE this group...thank you so much mama!  You've confirmed a lot of what I've thought...he does have a history of UTIs and kidney infections...

He does perk up for a very short time after I give the motrin and goes right back to being lethargic and such.  He typically gets 2 sinus rinses each day as that is part of his daily treatment plan...I wanted to be sure to do that this morning and it did help indeed.  He sounds okay right now.  He just feel asleep! 

I'm about to call his doctor now:)  Thanks mama!

Quoting mom2zachy122:

Aw, poor lil trooper, he must feel awful icky.  Def needs lotsa Mama love and TLC :)

DEF call the MD as the risk of either abdominal blockage or UTI/kid infec is high with his diagnoses.  He's so lucky to have such a caring and savvy Mama!

• myfirstborn04
    October 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    ~HUGS~ Ipray he feels better soon. Poor little Guy. Hope things get better and momma and Brady get some rest!
  • willysmama
    October 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

hope he feels better soon.

• mandee1503
    October 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Hope he feels better soon!

• darbyakeep45
    October 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

His fever broke!  He's well on his way to feeling better!  Yay!

• lifeisajoy
    October 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Hugs Darby!! and glad you got to talk to the doctor! How is Brady doing now

• karenl
    by karenl
    October 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I hope he is feeling better by now! ((hugs))

• jjamom
    by jjamom
    October 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    It could be a number of things, but since the fever is not grossly high, it probably is viral. Bacterial infections usually cause higher fevers. I hope he is feeling a lot better soon. It's so hard when they're so sick and we don't know why. Hugs!

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts