Raising Special Needs Kids

Featured Posts
Tracey122
Anyone have a child with FAS?
September 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

We're in the midst of adopting a child from overseas.  He has Ds so it's hard to tell from the photo, but we are concerned he may also have fetal alcohol syndrome.  The orphanage gave him a very good report (he's 7), but we're wondering.  Does anyone have experience with FAS?  Thanks.

Replies

• i.heart.myboys
    October 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    I do not know anyone who has had FAS so no experience with it.
  • JOEJULA
    by JOEJULA
    October 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

First of all good for you and your family giving this little one a fabulous home. My brother as child did not speak until he was around 5. He was a very well tempered child with problems of course, but never less sweet as could be. The one thing that was so devastating for us was the fact that he was not disabled enough to be completely disabled. He knew what was going on, and how people would make fun of him. That is the hard part. Life for these individuals is full of loneliness. Even with family they want friends and companionship, and that is usually not going to happen. He is able to read, and even drive. He is not able to hold down a job though because he says inappropriate things. He has random outburst of anger, and is not sorry for them later. I don't think he has the ability to be sorry honestly. This is my experience

Raising Special Needs Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts