Moms for Education

Cafe Denise
Good Grades
December 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Do you reward your kids for good grades? What do you do?

good

Replies

• Heather2001
    December 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM

No.  I was never rewarded and always got straight As.  You can motivate most kids without monetary/material rewards.

• abra
    by abra
    December 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    No. We praise them verbally. We don't do rewards so much as just make life fun as much as possible! We keep a positive but structured home.
  • emilyrosenj
    December 31, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Yes we do. We give money, dinner out, a special treat.
  • meam4444
    December 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    Nope. I probably won't do this until high school. I remember it worked for me!
  • TranquilMind
    January 3, 2013 at 3:39 AM

I gave my daughter $250 for AP scores of 5.  (Voluntarily - she didn't ask for it). 

In the workplace, she would be rewarded for outstanding work, so why not? 

• lish2127
    January 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

No, just verbal praise. My family will give them like $5 though.

• beanielips
    January 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Nope, that is what they are responsible for.  I tell them good job, and that I am proud of them.

• Kris_PBG
    January 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

We do a positive activity to celebrate school success...

What we do varies - but it is a desired activity, not a monetary pay off for the the kids.

• robynjavan7104
    January 23, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    My son gets a paycheck every 2 weeks instead of allowance and when report cards come he gets a bonus based on how well he does.
  • MansfieldMama
    January 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

No.  We expect our boys to do their best, and praise them when they do well.  They take pride in their work, and want to succeed.  They see the value in learning for the sake of knowledge, not because they are getting paid.  I do understand that money can be a motivator in certain situations, but we really stress the power of knowledge.

Moms for Education