Moms for Education

emilyrosenj
What would you do if this happened at your school?
December 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Loving Schools evacuated after threatening phone calls

By Taryn Walker
twalker@currentargus.com

LOVING - Loving elementary, middle school and high school were evacuated Friday morning because of a man who made several phone calls threatening to "blast" the schools, according to officials.

Loving Police Chief Jason Waller said a call was made around 7:20 a.m. to the middle school by a man demanding to speak to a former employee. Staff said the person he was trying to reach may work at the high school. He then made several calls to the high school office, where he was told the person was no longer employed.

After he made several more aggressive calls, all three schools went into their emergency procedures and law enforcement was notified. Loving Police and Eddy County Sheriff's deputies arrived on scene and began patrolling the area. The schools were cleared by 9:30 a.m. The school staff were able to get a phone number from the caller ID, although the number appeared to be a part of an Internet hoax site that provides fake numbers.

The ex-employee the disgruntled caller was looking for hadn't been employed for years, Waller said.

Replies

• emilyrosenj
    December 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM

We only experienced this one time, never with my son but last year with my daughter.  There was a bomb threat written on the bathroom wall. They had to walk about 5 blocks with no coats and no access to phones if they had them.  The parents received an alert by phone and again when it was over.  I left my daughter at school but then talked to her about it later.  She said she was very scared but was glad she stayed at school.  If I had come and taken her out, she would not have wanted to go back. 

• Hottmomma607
    December 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    The police shooting of 09' here in Washington state happened down the street from oldest H.S. at the time&school was on locked as well as my DD middle school! It was scary!
    I remember we had bomb threats at our school back in the day!
  • emilyrosenj
    December 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

That sounds very scary!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

The police shooting of 09' here in Washington state happened down the street from oldest H.S. at the time&school was on locked as well as my DD middle school! It was scary!

• Hottmomma607
    December 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    It was!
    4 cops got shot&killed at coffee shop which really close to my kids schools!Ok sorry wait it happened' on the weekend after Thanksgiving and after that the kids went back to school, they put school on locked due to still finding people connected to situation!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

That sounds very scary!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

• meam4444
    December 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

How sad and scary

Quoting Hottmomma607:

It was!
    4 cops got shot&killed at coffee shop which really close to my kids schools!Ok sorry wait it happened' on the weekend after Thanksgiving and after that the kids went back to school, they put school on locked due to still finding people connected to situation!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

That sounds very scary!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

• Hottmomma607
    December 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    It was awful! Those cops were killed in cold blood! And afterwards when my kids school was on locked down they were both texting me scared!

Quoting meam4444:

How sad and scary

Quoting Hottmomma607:

It was!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

That sounds very scary!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

• SusanTheWriter
    December 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

We've been fortunate that nothing like that has ever happened at my kids schools.

But I grew up in the oil business, so I went to 1st grade in Cairo, Egypt at an American school. We had a bomb threat and they evacuated the school and sent everyone home. What they *didn't* do was call my mom, so when I showed up in the middle of the morning after another mom dropped me off, she was in a panic!

• abra
    by abra
    December 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    I would pick my kids up.
  • JennMcBride
    December 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    We've never been through this before. We did haveto evacuate the middle school at the end of the year cause a water line busted and flooded the school.
  • Juniper53098
    December 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I'd definitely get the kids home.

Moms for Education

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN