Moms for Education

jryberg
Book Clubs for Kids
by jryberg
November 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Do you think a book club would be a good way to help kids improve their reading level/understanding?

My daughter is in first grade and has started reading simple chapter books - she has read a couple of the Magic Treehouse series. One of the other mom's in her class and I are thinking of having our girls do a book club - they would each read the same book and then we would have a playdate and discuss the book. 

I think this would help with reading comprehension. What do you think?

Replies

• batjmom
    by batjmom
    November 19, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    I don't think I would hurt. We are all big readers here. When my boys were younger they loved the Highlights magazine too
  • emilyrosenj
    November 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM

We did this with my daughter and some of her classmates for two summers.  The girls had a lot of fun with it...

• MissyB1011
    November 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM

That would be a great idea! Junie B Jones is also a nice series.

• Threes.Company
    November 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

That would be a great way to promote comprehension!  Any time you can get kids to talk about what their reading is a GREAT thing!  Do it! :)

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    November 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I think anything you can do to encourage more reading is good.  I would think that discussing the book would be helpful for comprehension, too.

• SlightlyPerfect
    November 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I like it!

• jryberg
    by jryberg
    November 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM

She has a subscription to Hilights and enjoys them. We are going to get her a subscription to the American Girl magazine for Christmas

Quoting batjmom:

I don't think I would hurt. We are all big readers here. When my boys were younger they loved the Highlights magazine too

• jryberg
    by jryberg
    November 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I was checking out the digital part of our library and they have a bunch of kids books! I am excited :)

• Samanthamommy
    November 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM

yeah, and it would be fun for them  

• elasmimi
    November 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Great idea!

Moms for Education