Moms for Education

maxswolfsuit
What should the repercussion be when parents... PIOG
November 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

don't support their child's education?

If a parent won't contact the school, attend conferences, monitor homework, get their child to school regularly, or return phone calls should there be a consequence for that?

Is this something CPS should get involved in or maybe the court system. Should involvement in education be tied to PA benefits? Or is it a parent's right to neglect their child's education?

Debate...

Replies

• Hannahsmommy816
    November 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

i dont think a parent should neglect their child's education....but then again i had no push when it came to school, i had to do all that on my own....getting up and going and doing my hwk. parents were working and divorced and in 2 states

• jryberg
    by jryberg
    November 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM

as a very involved parent I feel bad for kids whose parents are not involved but not sure if there legal actions are really the right way to do this. 

• Kris_PBG
    November 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    Going out on a limb here Max - but even though you did not disclose your opinions, I bet I agree with you! Lol!
  • maxswolfsuit
    November 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Going out on a limb here Max - but even though you did not disclose your opinions, I bet I agree with you! Lol!

Hmm... now why would you say something silly like that?

Check out the post in ESK. A really variety of opinions there. Including that it's not a big deal if parents are unavailable to the school. 

• Kris_PBG
    November 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Lol - notice where I did NOT post! Lol!!
  • maxswolfsuit
    November 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Lol - notice where I did NOT post! Lol!!

I'm just glad you got to read it. 

No one threatened to slap me, so I think it went OK. LOL

• emilyrosenj
    November 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I think parents should be REQUIRED and accountable for their children who are failling and  attend public school.  We pay our taxes to support the schools, and I really hate that my money is wasted on parents who could care less.  Their actions (or lack of) affects all students in the form of funding, grants and other financial support that the school could be receiving.  The majority of kids who do not have parents that care do poorly on tests and that also affects the whole school. 

Consequences should be required tutoring paid for by the parent, it should be in the form of a fine so they can be arrested if they refuse to pay.  Parents should be required to attend parenting classes, and they should have to fill out weekly statuses on the child's homework and why it was or was not done.  Teachers have to do this stuff and it's not fair, it's not their responsibility!

• MissyB1011
    November 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I checked out some of the replies in the ESK post. That was quite eye opening.

I think parents need to be involved in their kids' education. Sometimes it's hard with work and other kids and other commitments, but it needs to be a priority. The foundation of a good education can lead to a child becoming a productive adult.

• Threes.Company
    November 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I wish that were a possiblity.  When I was teaching, there were SO many uninvolved, unreachable parents... and those were the kids who always needed the most help and support.  Shocking.

• maxswolfsuit
    November 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Quoting Threes.Company:

I wish that were a possiblity.  When I was teaching, there were SO many uninvolved, unreachable parents... and those were the kids who always needed the most help and support.  Shocking.

It's pretty obvious that teachers have a very different understanding of this issue than most people. In the other group where I did the same post there were several people who didn't see how this impacted the kids or thought it was only a couple kids that grew up this way. When you've taught for a while it's clear this is a common and serious issue.

Moms for Education

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts