Moms for Education

MommyRuby2008
Can you answer this for me?
November 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I am an Early Childhood Graduate Student and I am working on my Final paper. I just want to ask a question.

Okay Parents: I have a question: Tell me in 1-2 sentences why easy access to information about early childhood services (either in general or with special needs) is important to you. (Your helping me with my homework. Please!)
--------------------------

Note that means easy information via pamphelets, websites. And these services could be doctors information, parents as teachers, school information.. etc.

--------Bonus points for you if you can give me a story about what a pain it is to search all over when you need information and how nice it would be to have had it all in one place!

Replies

• Wish2Be
    by Wish2Be
    November 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I think many people sufer or hold back on searching for the right information on early childhood assistance programs because they are left to assume things...like costs. If someone has no money and doesnt understand that the county could assist with these things, so many more poeple would get the help they need.

• KristinRox
    November 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I think its very very important. When it was time for my daughter to go to preschool here, it was very very very hard for me to find a preschool, and information about the schools. I was forced to find numbers in the phone book. In the end I was so frustrated with trying to get a preschool rather then a day care I gave up. She didnt do preschool, and instead I worked on curriculum from home. When she went to kindergarten she had a hard time with adjusting. It would have been so much easier for her to get better with preschool rather then kindergarten. Preschool is more flexible and a shorter day compared to kindergarten. 

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    November 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

As parents, our lives are busy enough shuttling kids to school, sports, dentist appointments, etc. Keeping track of when the school play is and when the dinosaur project is due... it can be overwhelming! If we have to play detective to get good information, it's just all too much. Having all that important information easily accessible would be a life-saver!

Sorry, I surpassed the 1-2 sentence limit! :/

• countrygirlkat
    November 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Where we have lived it has always been well documented what services there were available and it has been really nice because for so many kids having these services available from the start helps tons.  I love how it gives such a feeling of how we are all in it together in helping our kids succeed. 

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    November 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Parents are busy and don't have time to search for information.  If they have trouble finding something they need, they might put it off and forget to get information that was vital to them.  Also, if all the information is in one location it makes it easier to compare information.

• NearSeattleMom
    November 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I've never actually needed any access to information about early childhood services . . . but the Internet is an excellent source of info, if you ask me.

I also love books, so would look for information in books, too.

• MichelleK41
    November 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I feel some states do not offer enough information by paper, too many schools assume every parent has a computer. If you want parents informed then quit relying whole heartedly on the internet.

• Hannahsmommy816
    November 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

We were part of this service called Help Me Grow, more so for dd1. It was for all children (with low income families) but mainly now it's for the kids who really need it. I was always kept well informed on dd1's development and what she should be doing at what age...broken down in months or years. I liked having the information on a sheet of paper, for each year, what they should be doing and where they are at, what they should work on, etc

Moms for Education

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN