Moms for Education

CafeMom Team
How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?
October 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Saving for your child's college education can be tough but it doesn't have to be with the Gerber Life College Plan. We asked our CafeMom members to discuss the benefits in enrolling in the Gerber Life plan and then we gave them a donation to be used for their child's college plan! 

Tell us about your kids. How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• MumsTheWord571
    November 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    I have 2 kids. My son who will be 4 this Thursday, and my daughter who is 14 months old. My husband and I believe that college is essential for a promising future. So, as soon as our kids were born he set them up with the Gerber Life Grow up plan. I also opened a 529 Savings account in both of their names. Every time someone gives them money for their birthday or Christmas we take that and deposit it immediately into their account.

To make sure that they know that we value their education we have piggy banks in their rooms "for college". Every time we get coin change we give it to them to be put in their banks. When that is full we empty their banks, roll the coins and take it to the bank for college. If you ask my son if he's going to college he says yes! He actually insists his baby sister is going to the same school as him. He's so super sweet that any money we give him he splits between his & his sisters piggy. Lol.

At a birthday party for his grandma a couple months ago he announced he needed money for college to his auntie. She gave him $1. Grandma heard and went to her wallet and gave him all of the 1's she had (3). He immediately put them into his and his sisters piggies when he got home!

It's VERY important for my husband and I that both of our kids go to college. We will pay for them through their BA (or BS).

• MommyAddie
    November 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

We actually have the Gerber Life College plans for two of our kids and are going to add another for the baby next month.  The girls have had the Gerber Grow-up for Life plans since they were babies because I wanted them to always have access to life insurance, no matter what the future held for their health, and it will always be $6 a month for them.  We started the College plans so that they won't cash out their life insurance policies for college money.  My parents always told me to go to college, but they didn't save a dime for me, nor did they teach me how to save.  I did, eventually, go to college in my early 30's but it would've been so much easier ten years earlier and now I'm looking at repaying my student loans until I'm 45.  I just want my kids to feel prepared to go to school right away.  The Gerber Life College plan makes sense for us becuase we pay a premium, so to us its just another bill.  Once the policy matures, there is a guarenteed cash pay out that will equal more than the total amount of paid premiums.  I like that the kids can use it for something other than college, too.  There is a good chance their grandmother will pay for college, so they could use their payout as a down payment on a house or something. I love the Gerber Life plans.  This is a guarenteed way for me to do something significant for their futures. 

• MichelleK41
    November 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Each of our children have a savings acct.

• natesmom1228
    November 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

My son will get grants and whatever financial aid he is able. We do have a savings account, but we all know it's never enough.

• lalasmama2007
    November 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    My dd has had a savings account since birth. Any money that she's received as gifts has been put into the account.
  • itsblissmas
    November 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I'm not sure yet but I've thought about the Gerber Life Plan. My thing is I like referrals and I haven't heard any yet. The commercial is almost irresistible but they're supposed to be. LOL!

• itsblissmas
    November 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for sharing this. Were you interested because of a commercial you saw, word of mouth from a friend or something else besides your own experience? I'm so close to being convinced but seems I'm missing something to make me officially go for it.

Quoting MommyAddie:

We actually have the Gerber Life College plans for two of our kids and are going to add another for the baby next month.  The girls have had the Gerber Grow-up for Life plans since they were babies because I wanted them to always have access to life insurance, no matter what the future held for their health, and it will always be $6 a month for them.  We started the College plans so that they won't cash out their life insurance policies for college money.  My parents always told me to go to college, but they didn't save a dime for me, nor did they teach me how to save.  I did, eventually, go to college in my early 30's but it would've been so much easier ten years earlier and now I'm looking at repaying my student loans until I'm 45.  I just want my kids to feel prepared to go to school right away.  The Gerber Life College plan makes sense for us becuase we pay a premium, so to us its just another bill.  Once the policy matures, there is a guarenteed cash pay out that will equal more than the total amount of paid premiums.  I like that the kids can use it for something other than college, too.  There is a good chance their grandmother will pay for college, so they could use their payout as a down payment on a house or something. I love the Gerber Life plans.  This is a guarenteed way for me to do something significant for their futures. 

• bamababe1975
    November 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM

We aren't. My husband and I both got our Bachelor's Degrees on our own dime as we worked our way through school, so we expect our kids to do the same.

• bamababe1975
    November 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Our financial advisor told us to focus on our own future and let our kids do the same for theirs. So our money goes into savings for our retirement. It sounds selfish, but it does make sense because they're children with a lot more time before they have to worry about college or retirement than we do before we retire.

Quoting natesmom1228:

My son will get grants and whatever financial aid he is able. We do have a savings account, but we all know it's never enough.

• batjmom
    by batjmom
    November 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

This will be very interesting to read about.  We have saving accounts for our kids.  

Looking forward to reading about what the moms have to say that participate in this

Moms for Education

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts