Moms for Education

CafeMom Team
How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?
October 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Saving for your child's college education can be tough but it doesn't have to be with the Gerber Life College Plan. We asked our CafeMom members to discuss the benefits in enrolling in the Gerber Life plan and then we gave them a donation to be used for their child's college plan! 

Tell us about your kids. How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• countrygirlkat
    November 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

We have two of our three enrolled in the Gerber plan and we are adding our youngest soon.  We also have savings accounts for each of them that we try to contribue to. 

• chrissysnow22
    November 17, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    I plan to do the Gerber life plan and also a 529 for him. He will still apply for grants and scholarships if needed.
  • mrswillie
    November 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM

We started early.

• countrygirlkat
    November 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM

What a great idea to get them involved.  We definitely expect ours to go to college as well and talk about it a lot but to have them involved in the saving in that way is a neat idea. 

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

I have 2 kids. My son who will be 4 this Thursday, and my daughter who is 14 months old. My husband and I believe that college is essential for a promising future. So, as soon as our kids were born he set them up with the Gerber Life Grow up plan. I also opened a 529 Savings account in both of their names. Every time someone gives them money for their birthday or Christmas we take that and deposit it immediately into their account.

To make sure that they know that we value their education we have piggy banks in their rooms "for college". Every time we get coin change we give it to them to be put in their banks. When that is full we empty their banks, roll the coins and take it to the bank for college. If you ask my son if he's going to college he says yes! He actually insists his baby sister is going to the same school as him. He's so super sweet that any money we give him he splits between his & his sisters piggy. Lol.

At a birthday party for his grandma a couple months ago he announced he needed money for college to his auntie. She gave him $1. Grandma heard and went to her wallet and gave him all of the 1's she had (3). He immediately put them into his and his sisters piggies when he got home!

It's VERY important for my husband and I that both of our kids go to college. We will pay for them through their BA (or BS).

• .Angelica.
    November 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

we don't have any plans yet :/ right now I have no clue.

• tayanddyl
    November 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    I use a reg savings account
  • MumsTheWord571
    November 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Our plan as they get older and want to spend money is to have two piggies in their room. One marked college and one marked "pocket money". Then teach them to save 1/2 of what they get/earn into each. Then we teach them to save for long term goals & that college is not an option as well as how to spend responsibly.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

What a great idea to get them involved.  We definitely expect ours to go to college as well and talk about it a lot but to have them involved in the saving in that way is a neat idea. 

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

I have 2 kids. My son who will be 4 this Thursday, and my daughter who is 14 months old. My husband and I believe that college is essential for a promising future. So, as soon as our kids were born he set them up with the Gerber Life Grow up plan. I also opened a 529 Savings account in both of their names. Every time someone gives them money for their birthday or Christmas we take that and deposit it immediately into their account.

To make sure that they know that we value their education we have piggy banks in their rooms "for college". Every time we get coin change we give it to them to be put in their banks. When that is full we empty their banks, roll the coins and take it to the bank for college. If you ask my son if he's going to college he says yes! He actually insists his baby sister is going to the same school as him. He's so super sweet that any money we give him he splits between his & his sisters piggy. Lol.

At a birthday party for his grandma a couple months ago he announced he needed money for college to his auntie. She gave him $1. Grandma heard and went to her wallet and gave him all of the 1's she had (3). He immediately put them into his and his sisters piggies when he got home!

It's VERY important for my husband and I that both of our kids go to college. We will pay for them through their BA (or BS).

• timon95
    by timon95
    November 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

they each have a 529 account. actually they have 2. we put money into one through upromise and their aunt and uncle have another one set up for them.

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    November 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

We haven't set anything up yet, we really need to look into it!

• aneela
    by aneela
    November 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM

oh how fantastic for the moms selected! we are trying to set aside when we can for our son's college

Moms for Education

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts