Mom Help: Birth - 3 yrs.

kandi2100
how old was your baby
November 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

when you put cereal in their formula? just want to try at night  a few times to get him to sleep was wondering how old u put a little ceral in your babys bottle

Replies

• eevers55
    November 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I EBF my DD, but I've heard that putting cereal in the bottle, especially for sleep can be harmful to the baby. It can cause allergies if introduced too early. Also, studies show that cereal (or formula or breastmilk) right before bed doesn't neccessarily make them go to sleep or even stay asleep. That is mostly to do with how well the babies system has adjusted. For some babies, it happens after a few months. Most babies, it takes 6-8 months and even then, they don't always sleep regularly. It can also cause reflux or gas, especially right before bed. The cereal tends to harden and can't get terough the bottle nipple and this can cause issues.  How old is your baby? How long are they sleeping? We didn't start giving my DD cereal until she was about 6 months old and she hated it, so we stopped. We didn't re-intoduce solids until about 8 months. She also didn't start sleeping through the night (for babies that's only 5-6 hours) until she was about 4-5 months old.
    All that being said, obviously this doesn't happen in all babies, because I know that's how my grandmother used to feed my father and uncle. And there are many babies who are fine with it. I'm just saying ask around before you start because recently, pediatricians are trying to get people away from doing this. I'd also say ask your pediatrician. Even just call in and ask the question. They should be able to give you a better answer based on knowing your child a little better.

• mypbandj
    November 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Never. 

Sleeping through the night is a developmental skill. It has nothing to do w/ being full. 

• jteffs
    by jteffs
    November 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I did it at 8 weeks or so and it worked great. She was full and stayed asleep from 9-5. :-) Good luck. I wouldn't do it earlier than that.

• KaylaMillar
    November 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    We skipped the cereal
  • kandi2100
    November 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

my son is 6 weeks old and no i dont plan on doing anything for a while from now right now hes only getting formula and thats it i was just curios about what others thought is all im not sure if i will give him any cereal or not i def wont unless i ask his dr first... but like i said i did with my other two and they were just fine and they slept better but im not planning on doing anything like that if i get the drs ok untill she tells me its ok if she does thanks girls

• PortiaRose
    November 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    3 months or so.
  • silence68shh
    July 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

probably 2 months

• HEYimpregotoo
    July 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    My son had reflux and they gave us the option of trying rice in the formula. We tried it not only did it not help with his sleep at all but it also caused him to have bad belly aches. Never again would I do it. I've also heard it can be a choking hazard because rice is ment to eat not drink .
  • AmericanVenus
    August 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

The absolute minimum age for solid foods is four months, preferably six. Google "open gut" and it will tell you why. No cereal in the formula. Sleeping through the night is a milestone and most experts worth their salt will tell you not to try to do any sleep training until at least a year.

Cereal is not really a good first food for babies, unless you are making your own. The Super Baby Food book is a good resource, as is Baby-Led Weaning: Letting Babies Feed themselves.

Mom Help: Birth - 3 yrs.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts