Featured Posts
Cafe AmyS
Does your child share any special dates with a family member?
April 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Baby Born on Dad's Birthday ... and Grandpa's Too!

by Jeanne Sager

Delperdang familyOh my cuteness! A little boy named Sanders Delperdang was born on Tuesday, April 2. That's exactly 29 years after his dad was born. Oh, and 62 years after his grandpa was born. Yup, all three generations of men in the Delperdang family were all born on the same day!

Now I don't have to tell you that the odds of that are pretty slim. Sharing a birthday with just one family member is rare. Sharing it with two? Practically unheard of.

The Delperdangs are -- not surprisingly -- over the moon. But here's betting this is extra special for one of them in particular.

Darrel Delperdang, aka Grandpa, gets to share his big day with his son, Chase, and now his grandson.

Granted, Gramps was probably going to love the little bundle anyway, but there's something extra special about a grandchild born on your birthday. You don't just share genes; you share something you can talk about, joke about, even when the kid hits those awkward teen years when they can be hard to relate to.

How do I know? My eldest cousin was born on my grandfather's birthday, and the relationship they had was one the rest of us cousins couldn't touch. I say that without a hint of jealousy; I till loved my grandfather. If anything, the repartee between my cousin A. and Grandpa was touching to watch. And hilarious too -- nobody could make him belly laugh like her.

I know it was something my grandmother would have loved to share with one of her grandkids. When I was due just a few days after her birthday, she was pulling for me to give birth early. As she told me (more than a few times), it was her turn! (Turns out my kid didn't agree; not only did she not arrive on Grandma's birthday, but she was eight days late). Grandma had to settle for sharing an astrological sign instead.

But the Delperdangs will have one heck of an April for years go to come. What a great way to start the little guy's life.

Does your baby share anything super special with their grandparents?

Replies

• amonkeymom
    April 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My kids don't, but I share a birthday with my uncle.

• momofsixangels
    April 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

No but my dd Rachel's b-day is dec 3rd and my mil's was the 4th

• diaperstodating
    April 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

april fools

I am glad they were not born on April 1st, lol.

• diaperstodating
    April 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

No.

My 11 year old was born the day after my husbands birthday. My mom's birthday is the day after mine. My son was due on Septemer 2nd, when I was pregnant I was hoping he would be born the day before my birthday, but that would have been on September 11 (9-11) so I am glad he wasn't born on that tragic day.

• mamabear484
    April 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I have 2 kids born on June 25th & 26th. I have always had their birthday parties together.  My grandson's birthday is April 9th, mine is April 6th.

• ablackdolphin
    July 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Wow!  No but DH and DD have a bday one day apart and DH's sister and her daughter have bdays one day apart!

• 3lilpunk1ns
    July 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

DS#2 was born on my sisters 10th birthday and the day before my brothers birthday.

One of my nephews shares a birthday with my brother in law.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN