Featured Posts
Cafe AmyS
Do you have a pitbull?
February 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Brave Pit Bull Saves Family From Fire & You'll Never Believe How She Did It

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on February 14, 2013 

pit bullI know what you're thinking: Oh, here we go, another story about how pit bulls are really great, loyal dogs with a bad reputation and there are no bad dogs, only bad owners and blah, blah, blah. And you know what? You're right. And when you hear what this particular pit bull did for her family, you'll be inclined to agree.

If not for 10-year-old "Baby," sisters Rhonda and Evelyn Westenberger might not be here today. They were sleeping when their Oklahoma home of 17 years caught fire -- as were 5 other members of the household.

Baby, thankfully, was not. So she started barking and pouncing on her owners until they finally woke up. Said Rhonda later, "There were flames shooting down the hallway. If Baby hadn't woken Evelyn up, I don't think either one of us would have come out of it."

More from The Stir: Man Leaves Pit Bull in Charge of Babysitting Infant While He Goes to a Bar

The sisters managed to escape, but there were still 5 -- count 'em, 5 -- dogs left inside the burning house! But not for long. Because Baby ran back in and rescued every single pup -- even one hiding underneath the bed! According to a family member, "Baby actually went in there grabbed it by the neck and drug it outside."

So, to recap: Pit bulls are really great, loyal dogs with a bad reputation and there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Do you have an inspiring story about a great pit bull?

Replies

• Life.Happens
    February 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I'm not surprised to hear an good story about these dogs...Pit bulls are amazing...They don't deserve the bad rep they get....The best dog I ever owned was a pitbull!

• SassyWildflower
    February 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Awesome story. I dont have a pit..i wont have any kind of big dog just b/c if my own issues..But my bff has a pit though and he is an awesome dog.

• alf2651
    by alf2651
    February 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I love them! Mine is currently conked out on my floor in front of the heater. I'm so glad to hear good stories about this breed. Pit bulls get a bad rep.

• Turtledoves
    February 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    No, we don't.
  • momofsixangels
    February 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I do not have one but I would if I could.I love all animals

• lyrick24
    February 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM

i have a pit bull and i swore i would never have one but my son brought it in as a puppy. one day my two year old grandaughter got out of the house alone and the dog followed her. when we found her she was up in the schoolyard on the playground and the dog was with her on top of the slide. he never left her side.

• jessicasmom1
    February 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM

we had a pit mixed puppy in Florida oh she was so cute we moved back home and had to give her away due to not being able to have pets .. 

• aidensmomma508
    February 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

no we dont have one. i do know alot of times its the owners that make these dogs aggressive or not

• GypsiSky
    February 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

We don't either, and I agree...

Quoting aidensmomma508:

no we dont have one. i do know alot of times its the owners that make these dogs aggressive or not

• clowry02
    February 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

i don't

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN