CafeMom Team
How do busy moms provide healthy snacks for their kids?
February 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Getting your child to eat healthy snacks when you're on the go can be a tough job but it doesn't have to be. We gave 40 CafeMom members "On-the-Go Family Fun" packs complete with portable activities and Snack & Go products from  Mott's and asked them to try it with their families. Only Mott's Applesauce pouch has true applesauce taste in a convenient package for busy families on the go!

Tell us about your busy family. How do you provide healthy snacks for your kids?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• RebeccaMcGrane
    March 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

We keep a Simply Dense Snack Jar in the car for each family member. My son is 23 now but still loves his jar when he comes home. :)

You can use a standard mason jar or travel mug - whichever you're most comfortable with.

Here's how we fill them:

Half way with 2 of the following nuts: almonds, brazil nuts, pistachios or walnuts

1/4 of the way with either sunflower seed kernels or pumpkin seed kernels

1/4 of the way with 2 of the following dried fruits: coconut, papaya, tomatos, berries

Add a small amount of smoked salmon or beef jerky if your family likes them.

• AngelikeNorrie
    March 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I try to use only organic foods for my daughter. She loves fruit and she does love her Cheerios.

• MusicMom34
    March 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM

So cute!! Looks like all the kids are really enjoying it. I feel like the pouches would be a great warm day snack if you were to put it in the fridge or freezer. No spoons, no mess, and fun to eat... now that I think about it I might want to eat it too. 

• MusicMom34
    March 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Soooo cute. That's a happy camper right there. 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I usually just toss some dry snacks (like crackers) in my purse when on the go. While it would be nice to carry say, carrots, they aren't going to keep in my purse very long. Having a healthy, portable snack that does not require refrigeration (and no risk of leaks) seems ideal.

• ForMyDaughters
    March 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM

We like vegie or turky roll ups in a tortilla. Instead of mayo we like avocado or hummus mmmm!baby dust

• megan91
    by megan91
    March 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM
    My fiance and i dont have a vehicle right now but we are within a couple miles of everything we possibly need including the mall. we have to walk so we have a stroller to put ds in and he gets hungry while we are out a lot! So we bring crackers, teddy grams, granola bars, and a sippy cup of v8 splash! We have a pretty gopd amount of junk food but we dont let ds have it. im glad he likes the snacks we give him. he loves apple sauce so this would be great to add to that list! :-)
  • AshleySail
    March 22, 2013 at 1:50 AM
    Just FYI.. That jacket looks too thick to be worn in a carseat.,, and the chest clip needs to be at armpit level

Quoting MamaDearie:

Here is my youngest trying the Mott's On The Go (while on the go in her car seat) and LOVING it! 

• Melly7676
    March 22, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    I love making muffins with leftover fruit. Quick n easy
  • MamaDearie
    March 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Feel free to keep your unwarranted parenting advice to yourself. I have 3 happy, healthy, thriving kids and have no need whatsoever for random suggestions from 'well-meaning' strangers on online forums.
    Quoting AshleySail:

Just FYI.. That jacket looks too thick to be worn in a carseat.,, and the chest clip needs to be at armpit level

Quoting MamaDearie:

Here is my youngest trying the Mott's On The Go (while on the go in her car seat) and LOVING it! 

• karuli
    by karuli
    March 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I also try not to purchase too many bad snacks but in moderation is fine here.  We don't keep too much soda or juice in the house.  My daughter's favorite snack is chocolate dipped apples or strawberry's.  You could use dark chocolate as well.  A handful of salt free nuts each day, pirates booty, granola snacks and cheese and grapes w/ crackers. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts