Family Fun

MamaMandee
#8 of 10 Fun Family Night Ideas
January 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Experience the Night

The night isn't a quiet place. Bring some lawn chairs out in the yard and gather your family as the sun goes down. Listen to the different animals -- birds, bugs, bats and amphibians -- that liven up the dark. Using a nature guide for your area, see how many different critters you can identify by sight or sound. When it gets totally dark, turn on a porch light and stand back as moths flock to it. Use a digital camera to capture images of the different types of flying bugs that show up. Then use The University of Georgia's Discover Life tool to identify your moths. The mapping feature will let you see where else around the world they live.

If your family gets really engrossed in night life, consider pitching a tent for a backyard campout.

Replies

• elasmimi
    January 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

We do this a lot. Funny thing, there are not as many fireflies at night as there were when I was a child. My 6 y/o loves them.

• arpazia
    by arpazia
    January 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    That's a good idea for this summer
  • slw123
    by slw123
    January 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

We do this a lot. Funny thing, there are not as many fireflies at night as there were when I was a child. My 6 y/o loves them.

I noticed this too.  I always get excited when I see ONE, but when I was a kid there were hundreds.

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    January 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We love to watch the stars!

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    January 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM

This is a definite for summer, but not right now! Brrrr!! LOL ;)

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    January 27, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I know! Isn't that sad??? :(

I call them lightning bugs.

Quoting elasmimi:

• timon95
    by timon95
    January 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

tfs

• .Angelica.
    January 28, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    I have never in my life seen them. We dont have them in washington.

Quoting RobynS:

I know! Isn't that sad??? :(

I call them lightning bugs.

Quoting elasmimi:

• .Angelica.
    January 28, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    Also we dont have much opportunity to do this. It doesn't get dark early enough in the summer and is too cold other times. My kids dont sleep in when they stay up so it doesnt happen often
  • mrswillie
    January 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM

We spend a lot of time outside in the warmer months.

Family Fun