oahoah
Christmas Eve Traditions?
by oahoah
December 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

We have always celebrated with my family (parents, siblings/spouses, and their kids) and this year have decided to stay home and just start our own tradition but I am kind of lost on what to do.  We have 3 boys (8,5,3) and our oldest is the most resistant to the change and not being around the whole family but we also had our own Thanksgiving for the first time this year (which he complained about beforehand but ended up enjoying).  In the past we have had potluck-style dinner, then board games, movies, crafts and just visiting with each other and ornament exchange/gift. I don't necessarily want to copy what we have had in the past so I'd like to hear your traditions for new ideas. The only tradition I've kept from growing up is opening a gift on Christmas Eve, we didn't really do anything special. And as for DH, he hasn't voiced any opinion about what to do except adament that we're not going to my brother's house again this year.

Replies

• lillucky8
    December 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    We dont really have one yet. We are going to start opening one gift but otherwise i have no idea.
  • artemisa3001
    December 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

May I ask why you are breaking up with the family?

Thanksgiving and Christmas are occasion to be surrounded by family and or friends

• TristanMitchael
    December 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

We usually go Christmas light looking on Christmas eve and then they get to open one present (PJ's) and then we watch a Christmas movie and drink hot chocolate before bed.

• lyrick24
    December 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

we open one gift which is out chistmas pj's and read twas the night before christmas with my grandkids. they all live with me. we put up a racetrack and let the kids race cars until its time to go to bed. i make chocolate chip cookies for them to eat.

• SassyWildflower
    December 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    -Open stockings that morning
    -bake Christmas cookies that day
    -Christmas movies all day!
    -Christmas pj's that day.
    -Christmas movie (polar express) and hot chocolate before bed that night. :)
  • baileymarie723
    December 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    We always go to DH's aunt's to get together with his dad's side of the family.
  • tatuchick4u2c
    December 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

we don't really have any per se I know this year we are going to my parents for a bit

• Leelee1008
    January 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Our tradition is every year we get take out. the kids open up 1 present and its always their xmas pjs. we go outside and sprinkle reindeer food, and then leave out milk and cookies for Santa.

• Leelee1008
    January 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I found a recipe this year on pinterest for crock pot hot chocolte and made it Xmas eve. it was soooooo GOOD! the best I have ever had in my life.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

-Open stockings that morning
    -bake Christmas cookies that day
    -Christmas movies all day!
    -Christmas pj's that day.
    -Christmas movie (polar express) and hot chocolate before bed that night. :)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts