Family Fun

Featured Posts
Cafe AmyS
You Know You Grew Up Before the Internet Was Invented When ...
October 3, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I saw this in The Stir - What would you add?

You Know You Grew Up Before the Internet Was Invented When ... 

Posted by Sheri Reed
on October 2, 2012 

kids playing video games nintendo ds portable gamingMy boys have lots of age-appropriate tech devices, can set the DVR by themselves, and know about the latest viral YouTube videos before I do. But sometimes I worry I am ruining them with technology. What are all these "convenience tools" doing to their "sponge-like" kid brains? Squelching their innate talents? Robbing them of the glory that comes from good old-fashioned benign neglect and boredom?

When I think back to my childhood, spent pretending my bike was a horse and making eraser people, I do think my kids are getting a little screwed. We had no technology (unless you count Lite Brite); we had to learn to make do. We were boredom survivors. Some of our best days revolved around playing House (the only one left standing in a nuclear war) and making great duct tape things, which we then sold to strangers from mom's card table. It was a wonderful time. Life's answers weren't a Google search away, and we, no doubt, came out brighter (briter?) because of it. Didn't we?

Let's take a quick look at childhood before and after the Internet was invented, and you decide. Who's screwed the least -- the techy kids of today or us non-techy kids of yesterday?

View the slideshow HERE!

Replies

• TristanMitchael
    October 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    I have thought about taking some of the technology things away from my kids. My sister and I used to pretend the big propane tank was a horse or we used to saddle our dad's saw horses and ride those for hours. We did a lot more things outdoors than my kids do. Now that its cooling off I think we'll spend more time outdoors.
  • flowerfunleah
    October 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Funny and oh so true!

My daughter is never going to beleive I was born before internet.

• Gweneveer
    October 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM

LOL...its true though.  Everything is at the tip of our fingers.  At nice as it is, life was simpler before internet.   

I work with kids mostly in their early 20's.  They barely even remember life without internet...I.feel.old.  

• nngmommy83
    October 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Haha too funny
  • saraface5383
    October 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    I barely remember life without internet!

Quoting Gweneveer:

LOL...its true though.  Everything is at the tip of our fingers.  At nice as it is, life was simpler before internet.   

I work with kids mostly in their early 20's.  They barely even remember life without internet...I.feel.old.  

• DirtyHippyMama
    October 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I think people are way to dependent on internet, and tech stuff. I fall prey to it too. I want Myles to play with old fashioned toys and good old outdoor play but let him watch tv which I wish I was stricter about. 

Family Fun

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts