wouldashoulda
Sometimes the Table Moves (or isn't a table at all)
October 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM

As you may have gathered over the last couple of months, I'm very big on the whole family dinner thing. It's about routine, and the family unit, and it's true that our kitchen table holds a special place in my heart. A day that ends with my family gathered around, talking and eating, is a good day, indeed.

But you might think from my writing that my family never wavers from this routine, and that's simply not true. Our lives are as chaotic as any other family's; sometimes work and meetings and activities and sports and even friends get in the way. Not only that, but we're not always, you know, home. For that matter, even when we're home, we... okay, I'm going to say this very quietly... we don't always eat at the table.

There, my secret's officially out.

I mean, yes, most of the time we eat at our kitchen table, and we eat a home-cooked meal, usually from scratch.

But...

... sometimes we eat take-out.

... sometimes we go out to eat.

... sometimes we eat at home, but there's a new Mythbusters episode on, and we eat in front of the TV (naughty!) in the family room.

... sometimes we go camping, and eat outdoors.

... sometimes we go camping, and it's stormy, and we crowd around our little table in our trailer and dine to the incessant drumming of rain on the roof.

... sometimes we have guests, and all eat at the big table in the dining room.

... sometimes we go to a friend's house.

... sometimes the kids aren't here, and my husband and I eat popcorn for dinner while watching a movie.

It's not about always doing the same thing, or always doing every supper exactly the same way. It's about being together. I love the "typical" meals at the kitchen table, I do---so much---but I love all the other stuff, too. There's just something about that end-of-the-day meal with the family. There's nothing quite like it.

Do you have a sacred "dinner routine" or is a meal together enough for you? Or do you feel like mealtime is no big deal, just time to eat?

Replies

• abernathyvanna
    October 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

There have been times that we have been in a hurry and just grabbed our food and ate it up whereever we could.. Including the car.. lol 

• lalasmama2007
    October 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM

As long as we are together, it doesn't matter where we eat.

• KaylaMillar
    October 24, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Meal time is very importatna to me!  As long as we sit down together as a family it doesnt really matter where we eat

• aneela
    by aneela
    October 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM

we've done that too lol

Quoting abernathyvanna:

There have been times that we have been in a hurry and just grabbed our food and ate it up whereever we could.. Including the car.. lol 

• malexander2009
    October 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Right now it's just about having the meal to gether as our children get older then we will start more of a routine.

• millerbunch
    October 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM

meal times are wherever..

• sweettigeress
    October 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM

We love hanging around our table whether we're eating or not. lol! We don't have a routine though.

• Charizma77
    October 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM
    I prefer we eat together as a family but no routine or anything extra special.
  • Stormy6669
    October 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Usually it is just a time to eat. Although we do eat many places. In the woods, camping, boating, in the backyard, etc.

• Stormy6669
    October 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM

There are many times we have done that as well. haha

Quoting abernathyvanna:

Previous Post Next Post
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN