Featured Posts
whoorl
Taco Night!
by whoorl
September 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Is there anyone out there who doesn't love taco night? WE LOVE TACO NIGHT. In fact, I sink into a little bit of culinary depression if we don't do tacos once a week. My 5-year-old son feels like such a big boy when he gets to assemble his own meals, and the bite-sized morsels of veggies, beans and meat are perfect for my 1-year-old. Here's how we make taco night special at the Whoorl household.

One of the best things about taco night is the ease of preparation. Almost everything (tortillas, taco shells, seasoning) can be bought prepared, but I like to make my own taco seasoning for the ground beef and beans. Here's the quick recipe.

TACO SEASONING

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix together and use the desired amount mixed with your protein. (You can store the rest in an airtight container.)

Now, if you aren't in the mood to make your own or in a major hurry, we like the Old El Paso seasoning packet, as well as their taco shells. Heat up your protein, chop up all your sides, and you're good to go!

What are you favorite sides for taco night? I do a quick mexican rice using enchilada sauce that seems to keep the family happy, but I'm always looking for ways to change it up.

Replies

• Kmakksmom
    September 30, 2011 at 1:58 AM
    We love having meat, beans *for the hubs* and mexican rice (by Old El Paso!) on fried corn tortillas in large flour tortillas. On the tacos we have shredded Mexican cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce and Catalina. Well, Catalina for me and the kids, ketchup for the hubs. Then again sometimes we have taco salad with all of the above fixings and Doritos :)
  • onecuteladybug2
    September 30, 2011 at 2:12 AM

We don't usually have any sides. We just have tons of veggies to go on top.

• kerryket
    September 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I do love Taco night, we like tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, refried beans, salsa and guacamole, but switch up between ground beef, steak and chicken.

• thenguyenclan
    September 30, 2011 at 9:43 PM

we just eat tacos...i dont make sides :-) 

• lhunt8
    by lhunt8
    September 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    Mmm tfs
  • heathermichelle
    October 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I usually don't do sides, just the toppings for the tacos.

• Peajewel
    October 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM

We don't really do sides when we do tacos.  We normally will crush up the tacos and add the stuff for on them with them and eat it like a taco salad so I there is really  not need for a side. 

• elasmimi
    October 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM

We haven't started taco night yet, but believe we're going to. I'll probably do a rice a roni spanish rice.

• Charizma77
    October 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM

rice, beans, tortilla chips, guacamole

• Charizma77
    October 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM

We had tacos tonight and had spanish rice as our side

Previous Post Next Post
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts