whoorl
Taco Night!
by whoorl
September 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Is there anyone out there who doesn't love taco night? WE LOVE TACO NIGHT. In fact, I sink into a little bit of culinary depression if we don't do tacos once a week. My 5-year-old son feels like such a big boy when he gets to assemble his own meals, and the bite-sized morsels of veggies, beans and meat are perfect for my 1-year-old. Here's how we make taco night special at the Whoorl household.

One of the best things about taco night is the ease of preparation. Almost everything (tortillas, taco shells, seasoning) can be bought prepared, but I like to make my own taco seasoning for the ground beef and beans. Here's the quick recipe.

TACO SEASONING

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix together and use the desired amount mixed with your protein. (You can store the rest in an airtight container.)

Now, if you aren't in the mood to make your own or in a major hurry, we like the Old El Paso seasoning packet, as well as their taco shells. Heat up your protein, chop up all your sides, and you're good to go!

What are you favorite sides for taco night? I do a quick mexican rice using enchilada sauce that seems to keep the family happy, but I'm always looking for ways to change it up.

Replies

• sweettigeress
    October 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM

SO yummy. I'm jealous. We normally don't do sides with tacos. When we do it's rice.

• jessicasmom1
    October 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    Yum! we do taco's here once a week
  • KristinRox
    October 6, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I definitely have to have a little onion. We also use fat free sour cream, and mild salsa. I dont do taco night very much. But this post just prompted me to make tomorrow Taco night. My 9 year old is going to love you for this.. hehe.

• Jerichos_Mommy
    October 7, 2011 at 1:34 AM

mmmm we haven'tdone tacos in forever

• CoolMommyofboys
    October 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM

my boys eat taco's better than anything else I make

we spread beans on a soft taco and also add rice with the meat

my youngest loves sour cream on his- just like me ;)

• kanake
    by kanake
    October 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM

We don't usually have sides with tacos.

• Vertical15
    October 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Usually we just add refried beans and rice.  The rice is not always a given but everything else is.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    October 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM

lettuce, tomato, cheese, taco sauce

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    October 10, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Now.. I want a taco. :-/

:)

• KamiB79
    by KamiB79
    October 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    Tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, salsa, and taco sauce.
Previous Post Next Post
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts