Featured Posts
Cafe AmyS
Will you see The Green Lantern?
June 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM

'Green Lantern' Review: Is It What You Expect?

Posted by Sally Mercedes
on June 17, 2011

Green Lantern movie still

If you're anything like my friends, you already know Green Lantern is out this weekend. You've likely been tweeting your movie-viewing plans and updating your Facebook status with Green Lantern quotes, leaving your friends and followers who aren't in the know very confused. But then you mention Ryan Reynolds or Blake Lively and the rest of us perk right up. What's that you say? A hottie doing superhero things? I'm making the matinee!

Now that reviews for Green Lantern are in, though, is there more to this movie than the obvious eye candy? Will fans and newcomers alike be entertained? Let's find out.

"Prinz" Lee Romero, Starpulse:

It’s not horrible bad, but there comes a point where you’re just getting lost amidst all sorts of forced semantics. I think there’s enough stuff in Green Lantern to keep the movie afloat and somewhat enjoyable, but the film flops in the moments that COUNT THE MOST—drama and organic characters.

Matt Stevens, E! Online:

Not so super. [...] For all the talk of conquering fear and harnessing energy, Lantern ironically plays it safe and gets grounded by a leaden, spiritless adaptation.

Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times:

"Green Lantern" does not intend to be plausible. It intends to be a sound-and-light show, assaulting the audience with sensational special effects. If that's what you want, that's what you get.

It bears repeating that Green Lantern is a comic book movie, so the movie itself doesn't need to be strong to appeal to an audience. Performances won't be Oscar contenders and scripts might not be strong, but the focus is on awesome visuals and special effects. They want to entertain, not make you think or admire their talent.

But considering how many other comic book movies are out this summer, which ones will stand out: movies with good to great reviews like X-Men: First Class, or the ones that are only okay? We'll need to check in at the end of the season and see how it turned out.

Are you a fan of Green Lantern? Will you be watching it this weekend?

Replies

• fineyouguyswin
    June 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM

We will likely wait till it comes out on video and rent it :O) I have never heard of it before this movie though.

• amonkeymom
    June 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Probably not... at least not in the theatre.

• lalasmama2007
    June 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM

No, we'll wait until it comes out on Blu-ray.

• momof3angela
    June 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

We will likely wait till it comes out on video and rent it :O) I have never heard of it before this movie though.

same here...I do remember hearing about the comic character

• johnny4ever
    June 19, 2011 at 7:30 AM

i will pass

• melissasue38
    June 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM

more no than yes

• steph21078
    June 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM

my boys want to see it, but we will probably wait until DVD

• .JuneDiva629.
    June 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Quoting johnny4ever:

i will pass

• mallowcup17
    June 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    June 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Quoting lalasmama2007:

No, we'll wait until it comes out on Blu-ray.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts