Family Meal Solutions

Cafe AmyS
Do you have a favorite pot or pan?
February 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

4 Pots & Pans Every Mom Needs in Her Kitchen

Posted by Adriana Velez on February 13, 2013 

potThis morning a friend of mine asked me a burning question: What pots and pans do I use on a daily basis? What's safest -- stainless steel? Some women love talking shoes. Me, I love talking pots and pans.

I'm no expert. But I do cook a lot, and I am passionate about my pots and pans. I know -- I need to get a life, apparently, but I eat well! Because my kitchen is tiny I have a very small collection of cookware. I can't afford to keep around anything I don't use all the time. Here's what I consider my stove-top essentials.

1. Cast iron dutch oven set. I have this amazing set, a version of this Combo Cooker. It's a deep, three-quart skillet with a griddle that doubles as a lid to turn both into a dutch oven. I love how versatile it is. LOVE. It's the best way to brown meat. If you're getting married, definitely put this baby on your registry.

Cast iron can add trace amounts of iron into your food, but for most of us that's a bonus. If you care for it, it makes for a great non-stick cooking surface that doesn't leech toxins like most synthetic non-stick pans do.

More from The Stir: 8 Adorable Ways Toddlers Use Kitchens Like a Playground (PHOTOS)

2. Stainless steel core/aluminum exterior pots. I have two All-Clad sauce pans, a two-quart and a four-quart. I've had mine for 16 years and I fully expect to keep using them for the rest of my life. Here's the cool thing about these pots: The stainless steel core makes for more even heat. The aluminum layers on either side of the core are excellent heat conductors and are easy to keep clean. Together they are the ultimate cooking team. Yes they are crazy expensive, BUT! There are other manufacturers who make aluminum/stainless steel pots like these at a much lower price point.

3. Enamelware. I have an enamelware braiser. Enamelware is usually just cast iron with an enamel coating. This is a plus if you're working with acidic ingredients (like tomatoes) that can react to iron. And, well, I just think they're beautiful enough to put right down on the table as a serving dish. I also have a vintage enamelware saute pan that I use all the time. It's so old, the wooden handle came off. I still use it anyway.

4. Crock pot. Okay, these are not stove-top, but I still have to mention. Honestly, how does anyone get by without one? Mine has a ceramic interior dish you can pull out and use as a serving dish or to store leftovers. I bought the cheapest, low-frills version I could find. I can't even remember what the brand is. It has three settings, which is all I need.

What are your pot and pan essentials?

Replies

• Noni2319
    February 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    I love my crockpot!
  • wendums1229
    February 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I love my cast iron pans!!

• wendums1229
    February 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM

oh yeah and my crock pot too lol

• wendums1229
    February 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM

and my stainless steel lol yeck I love them all

• RADmomma
    February 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

ok. this is obvious for me....

I LOOOOVE MY CROCK POT

• jaytee
    by jaytee
    Jen
    February 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM

We just bought a new set of pots and pans in October. I love them! They are a hard anodized set, non-stick and they are FABulous! I also love my crock pot!

• jaytee
    by jaytee
    Jen

What? No way!! You, you love your crock pot??? Are you sure???

Hehe, Jk ;-)

Quoting RADmomma:

I LOOOOVE MY CROCK POT

• amonkeymom

I love my crockpot and my big non-stick two handled skillet.

• RADmomma
    February 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

adam asks if im going through withdrawl if i havent used it in a few days...

Quoting jaytee:

Hehe, Jk ;-)

Quoting RADmomma:

I LOOOOVE MY CROCK POT

• jaytee
    by jaytee
    Jen
    February 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Lol! Did you check out my "Made it and Loved it" board on Pinterest? The creamy Chicken and Rice Soup is really good and it goes in the crock pot (bonus)!

Quoting RADmomma:

adam asks if im going through withdrawl if i havent used it in a few days...

Quoting jaytee:

Hehe, Jk ;-)

Quoting RADmomma:

I LOOOOVE MY CROCK POT

Family Meal Solutions