Healthy Living

stayathommom
Gluten and dairy-free lunches?
March 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Hi! We have recently gone dairy and gluten free. It is pretty easy to come up with breakfast ideas (eggs and fruit, smoothies, etc) and dinners (cut out dinner rolls, lots of proteins). But lunches have me stumped. Our standby was grilled cheese or PB and J. Obviously those are out. When googling, I came across lots of ideas with eggs; we love eggs, but doing them for both b'fast and lunch would get boring. I tried hummus and my boys did not like it. And we eat chicken a lot for dinner, so chicken strips (homemade) would be ok every so often, but I try to stretch meats over dinners and substitute other proteins and fibers for lunch. ANy ideas? TIA.

Replies

• wayward_redhead
    March 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM

No ideas from me I'm just replying to see what other people say. LOL  BUMP!

• Lynette
    by Lynette
    March 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Leftovers are great, Nachos are a fast and easy(vegan Daiya cheese is great), wraps(brown rice wraps heated in coconut oil bend without breaking), soup, spegetti w/GF noodles, ground beef cooked with onions then mixed with GF spy sauce, chili, a different hummus then u have tried(lots of recipes out there).

• michiganmom116
    March 20, 2013 at 6:22 AM

We have homemade soups, salads, tuna or salmon patties with side salad, leftovers, lettuce wraps (use lettuce instead of tortillas, or I've found a tortilla recipe that uses almond or coconut flour), wrap pickles/avocado/any veggie in ham or turkey slices, guacamole & chips or veggies, egg or tuna salad on homemade gluten-free crackers or cucumber slices, homemade baked beans, or sandwiches (PB & J, egg or tuna or chicken salad, PB & banana, BLT) on homemade paleo bread (I have a recipe.) 

• michiganmom116
    March 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM
  • KCisPaulsMom
    March 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Search Primal Bliss on Facebook. She posts the lunches she makes for her 6-year old son every day with a picture.

• stayathommom
    March 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas. I am excited to incorporate them into our menu for the upcoming week. :)

• fleurmegs
    April 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I am gluten free, and try not to do dairy for most meals - and I'm a vegetarian, so I definitely know how hard it can get!

I like making soups, especially for colder days.  Salads are great too!  And it doesn't have to be lettuce salads - bean salads are great for protein and fiber and can be very flavorful with homemade dressings.  I also like doing pasta salad with grilled asparagus for spring - anything to add in a lot of veggies.  I will usually pair this kind of stuff with a slice of GF bread (homemade or bought) or GF crackers with some peanut butter or hummus or other spread.

• brownhoney21
    June 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting wayward_redhead:

No ideas from me I'm just replying to see what other people say. LOL  BUMP!

Healthy Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts