mami2my3rugratz
UPDATE: Need better hypertension meds
January 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Saw my new doctor today. She lowered my norvasc and hctz. She then added a new pill in low dosage called bystolic. One reason for lowering it was because the dosage was too high in the first place and the side effects were palpitations, fast heart rate, edema, headaches, low potassium and a few others. She said other than me dealing with so many mental issues due to trauma, I am fine as far as my heart is concerned and other things. I have to see a counselor to help me to learn to relax because any little thing sets off a panic attack. I am praying that my next step will be to get off of these meds. I really have to concentrate on eating, exercising and resting, because I've been exerting myself too much.

What type if meds are you on for hypertension/high blood pressure? I'm on Norvasc and HCTZ and the side effects aren't the best. It lowers my potassium levels causing me to have high heart rates.

Replies

• michiganmom116
    January 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I take Lisinopril and I don't have any side effects from it.

• emilyrosenj
    January 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I just take Hydrochorathiazide and I haven't had any side effects.

• mami2my3rugratz
    January 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    I see a new doctor on Thursday. I hope she can give me something else.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I take Lisinopril and I don't have any side effects from it.

• mami2my3rugratz
    January 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    I started off with that but ended up with Norvasc too. I'm praying that one day I won't have to take anything else. I'm trying to control things now with exercise and diet.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

I just take Hydrochorathiazide and I haven't had any side effects.

• MusherMaggie
    January 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    Some of that can be corrected with proper nutrition. Bananas and Orange juice will raise potassium, potatoes also. Staying well hydrated also helps keep your body in balance. Use a little sea salt, and good fats like coconut oil & avocado. Cut out wheat, white sugar , and reduce dairy.
  • ameraznkimko
    January 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I ran into this and thought this was interesting

• mami2my3rugratz
    January 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    I've been eating a lot of bananas and orange juice lately. I've also been taking potassium supplements given to me at a last ER visit. I've been really sluggish and fatigue too. I'm beginning to wonder if my iron is low. My nail beds are kind of white and I was on a Daniel Fast, which included what you said about wheat, no white sugars and no dairy. I was doing well with it but not eating meats kind of drained me. Then on top of that I suffered a miscarriage about a week ago today and I'm still bleeding.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Some of that can be corrected with proper nutrition. Bananas and Orange juice will raise potassium, potatoes also. Staying well hydrated also helps keep your body in balance. Use a little sea salt, and good fats like coconut oil & avocado. Cut out wheat, white sugar , and reduce dairy.

• mami2my3rugratz
    January 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    By the way, I saw coconut oil in the vitamin section of Walmart. Is that it?

Quoting MusherMaggie:

• michiganmom116
    January 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

That fast is very unhealthy.  You're depriving your body of key nutrients:  proteins, vitamin B complex, iron, etc.  I'm not surprised that you felt drained.  Vitamin B is not stored in our bodies and needs to be replenished every day, and it's important to our energy levels.

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

I've been eating a lot of bananas and orange juice lately. I've also been taking potassium supplements given to me at a last ER visit. I've been really sluggish and fatigue too. I'm beginning to wonder if my iron is low. My nail beds are kind of white and I was on a Daniel Fast, which included what you said about wheat, no white sugars and no dairy. I was doing well with it but not eating meats kind of drained me. Then on top of that I suffered a miscarriage about a week ago today and I'm still bleeding.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

• mami2my3rugratz
    January 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    Yeah! My aunt told me that even in current state, being on any fast just ain't healthy for me. I had a lot of fruits, veggies, beans, almond milk and wheat products of the such but I'm just not in thr right shape.

Not sure how long it's going to take to get my health back on track, but I'm going to do all that I can.

Quoting michiganmom116:

That fast is very unhealthy.  You're depriving your body of key nutrients:  proteins, vitamin B complex, iron, etc.  I'm not surprised that you felt drained.  Vitamin B is not stored in our bodies and needs to be replenished every day, and it's important to our energy levels.

Quoting mami2my3rugratz:

Quoting MusherMaggie: