Healthy Living

Megan11587
I need ideas!
January 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM

My husband is not a huge fan of vegetables.  When I say a 'not a huge fan', I mean he will eat the protein and starches of his meal and not touch the veggies.

I want to start cooking with lower carbs.  I don't want to cut them out, but I don't want pasta and rice with every meal.

Do you have any ideas and/or recipes to make healthier meals without him feeling like he's missing out on all of the starches??

Replies

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

go to www.genaw.com for a great assortment of low carb recipes

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I steam a head of cauliflower, mash it with butter and milk, then add sour cream, bacon, chives, and cheddar cheese for a mock twice baked potato casserole.  My family cleans it up!

• Megan11587
    January 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I love you!  You have answers to all of my questions!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I melt 4 oz. of cream cheese and add 1 cup cheddar cheese, stir to mix then add to 16 oz. steamed broccoli.  Bacon bits and sliced green onion are encouraged, but optional. 

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I bake with almond and coconut flours, which are naturally lower in carbs and higher in fiber than whole wheat flour.  I make pancakes, waffles, muffins, biscuits, and "corn" bread with them.

• Megan11587
    January 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I'll have to try that!  I do bake a lot and make my own pancake mix and such.  Does it taste much different?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I bake with almond and coconut flours, which are naturally lower in carbs and higher in fiber than whole wheat flour.  I make pancakes, waffles, muffins, biscuits, and "corn" bread with them.

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Quoting Megan11587:

I love you!  You have answers to all of my questions!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have recipes, but I'm heading out to the store right now.  Check out my Rhonda's Home Kitchen group -- most of the low carb recipes are in the veggies post or the Paleo/primal cooking forum.

I'll copy some here when I get back, too.

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

There's MORE flavor with the almond/coconut flours.  I don't have a pancake mix recipe that uses them, and they do work differently in a recipe than grain flours do.

Quoting Megan11587:

I'll have to try that!  I do bake a lot and make my own pancake mix and such.  Does it taste much different?

Quoting michiganmom116:

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

• Crustless Sausage Cheddar Quiche

• 6 to 8 oz. sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
      • 4 large eggs
      • 1 1/2 c. half & half (I use evaporated milk)
      • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
      • 1/8 tsp. pepper
      • 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.  Pour into a pie dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, until set or a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Serve with sliced fresh tomatoes.

• michiganmom116
    January 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Twice-baked Non-potato casserole

• 1 head cauliflower, steamed until very tender and then mashed with butter, salt and pepper
    • 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c. full fat sour cream
    • 1 to 2 green onions, sliced
    • 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    • 8 oz. bacon, cooked & crumbled

Mix cauliflower, sour cream, green onions, 1 c. cheddar cheese, and bacon.  Pour into baking dish.  Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake at 375° for 25 minutes.

Healthy Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts