gacgbaker
What makes it healthy?
November 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM

When you serve a dish or cook dinner, what types of things do you look for in the ingredients to make sure it's a health meal?  What makes food healthy?

Replies

• michiganmom116
    November 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM

It has to make a significant nutrient contribution to our diet.  It cannot be detrimental to our health or cause us to lose nutrients just by eating it.   If the food has anything added as a preservative, I don't buy it.  If it has added vitamins, then it's not a nutritious food to start with, and I don't buy.  I look at sugar content and any -ose product (a sugar in hidden form.) I avoid "hydrogenated" anything and artificial sweeteners/flavors.

We eat mostly whole foods, and many of them don't even have a label for me to check ingredients.  I don't worry about cholesterol or fat from these sources since it's in a natural form and my body knows what to do with it.

Personally, I also pay attention to carbs.  I refuse to buy into the conventional thinking that we HAVE to have 160+ grams of carbs a day.  I would have to take a vial of insulin 3x daily if I ate like that!  I've changed our diet to low-carb (40 to 60 carbs a day) and my whole family does beautifully!

When cooking, I use a lot of fresh/dried herbs and spices to add flavor.  I don't use many canned products, usually just organic tomatoes/sauce or organic coconut milk.  Frozen foods rarely have to have preservatives or flavorings unless they're processed food products, and fresh just speaks for itself.

• aidensmomma508
    November 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I don't really but look for the food groups

• Heather2001
    November 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Veggies, lean protein, healthy oils, low in salt.  The healthiest food to me is the closest to it's original form in nature.  I don't like to eat what I can't pronounce.

• abra
    by abra
    November 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    Raw ingredients. I avoid processed foods.
  • Kelly913
    November 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

If it's a real food, as close to the way it came from nature, then we call it healthy.  Even bacon! 

• emilyrosenj
    November 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I try to keep food as close to it's natural state as possible but I do use processed foods on occasion.  I have so much stuff in my stockpile that even if I gave some away I would still have a bunch.

• BelindaDuvessa
    November 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    • It has to be well rounded with all food groups present.
    • I try to find lower sodium or healthy request-type ingredients if I have to use processed stuff.
    • I keep meats lean by buying either lean cuts, or trimming fat before cooking.
    • I make sure there's plenty of vegetables with each meal.

Nothing is really taboo in my house food-wise, but I do try to make most things at home.  They are generally lower calorie than anything I could buy from the grocery aisle or frozen section.  I use mostly frozen veggies in my cooking, and very rarely use canned.  Fresh is best, but I buy for 2 weeks at a time, so frozen stays better.

• Juniper53098
    November 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I try to buy as much unprocessed food as possible.  I buy very few boxed items.  I don't buy any canned items.

• hugss
    by hugss
    November 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM

We try this usually :)

Quoting aidensmomma508:

I don't really but look for the food groups

• sassymomntx1961
    November 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I try to eat as lil processed foods as possible now days and learning to cook better from scratch.